Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
M1214 - field replaceable ethernet connector
The only things that I "wish" the 1214 had:

A better method for mounting in H pole. Currently we end up drilling out the bolts holes just a hair, and end up using a handfull of washers on the nut side of the bolt.

So my thought would be at the minimum if possible. Enlarge the holes a bit, and have the PAC style bolts threaded all the way up the bolt. Or add a flat bracket with the kit. So when used in H pole, the pole doesn't slip in between the braket that's mounted on the radio. The plate would stop that, and the bolt threads would be long enough at that point.

As far as Ethernet Pass through:

Yes, it would be nice to pass an Ethernet plug through to the WAR board. I have and continue to use the punch down included with the radio. That method is a bit faster then actually prepping/installing a RJ-45. Not to mention I use direct buriable Cat-5E. I would kink it if I tried to sqeeze it in the box to the current Jack location on the board..

But the keystone method is a PITA if you need to replace a radio.. So I don't replace a whole radio, I just replace the WAR1 inside, or radio card. That is the one joy of the hinged case, and it's modular approach. "fix what's broke"

To each their own, I am making due with what I have through Star, and it's supply chain. But I think options are great to have. A pass through would add flexability (if I used the RJ-45 approach) and by pass through I mean the end passes through the box, not one of the bulkhead pass throughs mentioned before (PAC). I don't like those at all anyway. The newer ones imployed by Deliberant and for purchase as a stand alone product can be found at titanwirelessonline.com are MUCH better then those fyi.

My $.02
Yea I know,..those things happen.
Desirable features:

Severe weather proof
Usable both vertically and horizontally without re-orienting the cables
No need to open the case to terminate or replace it

We regularly get wind in excess of 50 mph with blowing ice/snow and very low temps so the case needs to be very weather tight.

We regularly use both orientations at our sites so the ability to easily switch is mandatory. It is also unfortunate that changing the orientation requires adjusting all the cables and puts the connectors horizontal. A dual polarity antenna would fix this if using a hinged case is considered a priority.

Boards never seem to fail in good weather. Having to open the entire case in blowing rain/snow/ice to replace the board is a bad design choice. The current design requires this since the cable must be re-terminated if you replace the whole box or the case must be left open while you remove the board and replace it. With a weather proof external termination you just disconnect the cable and replace the whole box.

Just my 2c
Larger ethernet passthrough is desired. Ethernet quick-connect is really desired. Requiring us to open box outside is not desired.

Having to fumble with 6 hex-head bolts on a cold morning over your head without a view really sucks for the installers. On some x4000 installs, make that number 8 because the side-hexs interfere with removing the top 2 hexs that mount the box to the frame.

The cases on the m1214 and m1517 appear to rust significantly after 6 months exposure. And we've had a handful leak through the n-female bulkhead connectors.

By and large I think the case designs of the m1214 and m1517 caused me to by many fewer VNC products than I would have.

Steve Acup
Lucketts.net
We've had 3 mounts fail (break) on them recently. We're fabricating our own piece to replace the cheaper gauge bar that wasn't upgraded when the mounts were recently beefed up. I suspect we're in a more violent wind tunnel area than most but we've seen a couple break in under a month. In general, they work ok but in certain areas, we're replacing the piece before we mount.
SteveA Wrote:Larger ethernet passthrough is desired. Ethernet quick-connect is really desired. Requiring us to open box outside is not desired.

Ditto, opening the box on the roof or tower is begging for trouble.

SteveA Wrote:Having to fumble with 6 hex-head bolts on a cold morning over your head without a view really sucks for the installers. On some x4000 installs, make that number 8 because the side-hexs interfere with removing the top 2 hexs that mount the box to the frame.

Ditto, I've started carrying one of the hex wrenches in my pocket all the time just in case I drop or forget it when I go on site. My key chain multi tool can get me into anything else we have in a pinch.

SteveA Wrote:The cases on the m1214 and m1517 appear to rust significantly after 6 months exposure. And we've had a handful leak through the n-female bulkhead connectors.

I'm sure there is somebody somewhere putting omni antennas on the top of these that is happy about having connectors on the top of the box, but I would rather never see a connector anywhere but the bottom. Why let gravity have a path for water into the box? And it is almost always easier to dress all of the cables to the same location and you usually get drip loops for free going into the bottom of the box. Into the top takes some creativity. Of course if you are using hpol on the integrated antenna then everything comes into the sides which just looks wrong no matter how you do it.
Forget the crimp vs punch debate and consider this.

It would seem to me that it would benefit Valemount to have an ethernet pass-through just for the "demarcation" and how it relates to support/warranty. An issue that has certainly caused you (Valemount) so much grief .

If an installer was having problems and didn't know if it was bad ethernet or bad CPE, all they would have to do is plug in to the pass-through and test with their computer. If the unit works, time to start tracing out wiring problems. If it doesn't, then it's the CPE.

There would be no reason to even open the enclosure.
Chad Halsted
The Computer Works, Inc.
Conway, AR
(501) 329-9144
www.tcworks.net

Sarcasm helps keep you from telling people what you really think of them.
If you really need one you could go this route.

http://metrix.net/rj45-ip68-coupler-cat5utp-p-81.html

Roll your own. At least maybe on your AP's

I know your all wanting this, but really, it's a complete redesign of that area of the enclosure. And that's gonna be big bucks I imagine. I don't think any port on that enclosure could support a threaded insert for pass through like we would like.

But then again, maybe this enclosure is a Compex unit. And they will get smart and just do it on their own. And we get a better box for us on the cheap for everyone.
Yea I know,..those things happen.
Thanks for all the comments. I'm still thinking about this issue.

I had an idea of using the M1208 plus an external antenna. Thoughts on that?
(suggestions on antenna selection? might there be some possibility of using antenna diversity since I would have two antennas, or maybe there is no advantage since the gain would be so different between the two)

I have about fifteen M1208s installed and generally like them. There was a problem last year that they weren't available for a long time, but they are in-stock at the store now.
Diversity isn't really helpful with 11a/b/g outdoors, I wouldn't bother with it.
StarOS Community Wiki: http://staros.tog.net/
valenti Wrote:I had an idea of using the M1208 plus an external antenna. Thoughts on that? (suggestions on antenna selection?)... ...There was a problem last year that they weren't available for a long time, but they are in-stock at the store now.
We had standardized on 1208's with PacWireless grids with RP-SMA connectors. Real nice, slick, good looking, easy install - plus just one CPE to stock. Close up, we could just use a 1208; farther off, we could just add a grid.

However, when 1208's were unavailable for so long, we had to switch CPEs. Also, they were only 20db, so it's nicer to have a bit more radio power now and again for those longer links. Where we are, houses are often a mile or two apart, so customer density is low. However, other than that - a 1208/19dBi Grid was a pretty nice install.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Weatherproof Ethernet Couplers ninedd 13 5,537 08-22-2010, 08:02 PM
Last Post: pops
  M1214 - mounting ? hatster 5 1,830 02-27-2009, 03:06 AM
Last Post: rbolduc
  Which outdoor ethernet cable? tkmbe 7 3,050 03-31-2006, 03:15 AM
Last Post: gunther_01