Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Duplex link test results with StarV3 on Alix Boards
datawork Wrote:Don't suppose you've played around with the AlixLX800's by chance.

The boards we used were the Alix3D1 series that use the Geode LX700: http://www.pcengines.ch/alix3d1.htm

We haven't tried out any other variants of this board. I believe they are being fairly widely used as network applicances for routing / voip etc.

I'm not trying to promote this board over the excellent hardware supplied by Valemount themselves but it might have some applications, particularly in situations where you already have a good 12v power supply in place, and it obviously works well with StarV3.
Will it take high powered cards? Like a XR5 and an XR2? Or maybe only one high powered card?
dc2005 Wrote:In response to your questions:

1: The Alix is about the same price as the WAR2-MPW144B - I think this is the board used in the X2000? I don't want to try to compare the specifications of the two boards other than to say that the Alix will work with a 12v supply and has good processing capability. We already had a 12v backup supply available on site so it was worth a try. The X2000 might well give similar results - someone else might be able to comment on this.

2: The two antennas at each end are about 3m apart and are using different polarization i.e. one is vertical and the other is horizontal.

3 - 4: We ended up using 5.560 and 5.860 i.e. a frequency separation of about 300MHz. We didn't really experiment with the frequency spread so am not sure what would work as a minimum.

Again thank you for your report.
I understand you are tied to 12Vdc so that is a valid reason to go your given path.
----------
Those grid antennas in my opinion are very poor for what you are doing.
You might look into some of the small solid dishes that are available.
I am sure you would have a performance increase.
A hard cold fact with antennas is quality cost money.
Antennas are the least expensive route to overall better system performance.
-----------
I have been involved in building about 6 full duplex systems since the first of the year.
Two of them are back to back repeaters on the same site.
I know what my personal experience is and I have been comparing with blurbs that have been posted on several forums.
Some times it is quite interesting to see the difference between regurgitated recommendations and real world experience.

I am using the PAC 32 dbi dishes with the new wide band dual feed.
I am now looking into pass reject filters and I am gathering data.
We can't alway just grab a 2 freqs on the ends of a band. Sometimes they are in use. Those old Tsunami radios would use 6 channels to get 1 T1 FD channel. They can wipe you right out if you are to close.
So the quest for the narrowest freq spread is in the works.

Keep up the good work and good luck with your DIY projects.
Dave
<
@)
(Cooter>>
^^^^^^^^^^
Vrablic

"I have no excuses, Just reasons"

dc2005 Wrote:In response to your questions:

3 - 4: We ended up using 5.560 and 5.860 i.e. a frequency separation of about 300MHz. We didn't really experiment with the frequency spread so am not sure what would work as a minimum.

What Country are you located in? (Your profile doesn't say.)

I know these frequencies are outside of the legal range for fixed frequency use in North America.
Stratolinks Wrote:What Country are you located in? (Your profile doesn't say.)

I know these frequencies are outside of the legal range for fixed frequency use in North America.

We're located in Ireland, these are legal frequencies here. The lower frequency does require DFS but the spectrum is very quiet where this link is located and there's no chance of picking up any radar signals hence it isn't going to change anyway.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Alix Board c.davis 54 11,922 01-29-2015, 05:56 AM
Last Post: lonnie
  Alix Boards in Cold Temperatures c.davis 15 2,783 02-14-2013, 10:19 PM
Last Post: Kevin Gerrard
  Alix boards - psu with integrated poe ripv 45 10,114 06-10-2011, 07:25 AM
Last Post: lonnie
  500mhz vs 433mhz alix amp 10 2,716 03-12-2011, 03:35 PM
Last Post: amp
  CPE Version and WRAP boards kegrif 2 1,550 02-08-2004, 11:27 PM
Last Post: tony
  Soekris boards and telephony power supplies georgew 2 1,606 08-22-2003, 06:25 PM
Last Post: georgew