Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
StarMAN (Firmware Manager)
Hi all. Well, since StarOS Version 1.5.x looks to be pretty much ready for prime time, it's likely that LOTS of us are going to be doing LOTS of Firmware upgrades in the near future. Time to release the next version of StarMAN!

This is version 0.99c, and as always, it's without any warranty - it's written for us, for our network, for our systems. We're confident that it works very well for us. It may rain destruction and pestilence on your network for all I know.

Version 0.99c is available here: [url]http://www.9DollarDomains.com/sos/StarMAN.zip[/url]

Changes from previous versions:
- Has a 'Firmware Upgrade' mode, and a 'Full Managment' mode. If all you want to do is just use it to upgrade Firmware's on your network, then you can just select '1' to limit it to Firmware mode, and it'll be a bit faster, since it won't need to read all the signal/rates and stuff from every CPE.
- Has 'Batch' firware upgrades now, to make it much faster. THERE IS NO HARDWARE PLATFORM CHECKING yet, so when you multiple select a bunch of CPE's, you really need to make sure they are all the same type of hardware, since it'll upload the same firmware file to all those devices. Of course, StarOS itself checks if it's a valid firmware file or not, so this shouldn't be any real issue exactly, but for convenience and safety, select all your MIPS boards and upgrade them with the MIPS firmware, and then separately select all your SIAM boards and upgrade them with the SIAM firmware and so on.

Quick start Installation - You should be able to just:
1) Download and Uncompress the archive. I just put it on my Desktop.
2) Install Net-SNMP from http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles...p_id=12694
3) Put some firmware .pkg files in the firmware directory
4) Edit the starman.ini file to contain your SNMP community name, and your putty password

Notes: On our network, we have almost 100% StarOS CPE's, so it won't work all that well with a bunch of alien CPE's. I do have a couple old AP's with some TR's, so I've been meaning to add a 'blacklist' feature, were certain IP's can be ignored, which would make things faster.

Also, on our network, we route everything and don't do any bridging. I'm guessing that where there are bridges, the customer's computer/router will respond to the PING test, and then StarMAN will try to communicate with this IP as if it was the CPE. On our network, when I give it a /24 to poll, every 'alive' IP address IS a CPE. When I add the blacklist feature, it'll maybe help with WDS briding mode.

Future Versions:
There still is a V2.0 in the works, but it's got feature creep and it's not documented or working well. It's got that 'works good enough to get the job done, so I don't work on it anymore' problem. I still am working on it now and again, but no ETA.

Feel free to post things you'd like to see, or any problems you have, and I'll update a ToDo list.

- Todd
Starman won't work with the new 1.5.16.5 Firmware naming, so I'll try to get some time to release a new update to StarMAN shortly. In the mean while, you'd need to rename the firmware to something StarMan recognizes.

Basically, StarMAN looks for the Hardware Platform that the board reports, and then searches in the Firmware directory for ".hardware-string." in the file names. I'll update StarMAN to work with this new naming convention, but in the mean time you can rename the files once you have downloaded them.

Eg. for 'starv3-XSCALE-METRO-1.5.16.5agn.4394.world.pkg' that could be renamed something like '1.5.16.5.xscale-metro.pkg' and then StarMAN would be able to recognize the firmware name as being valid for the 'xscale-metro' platform.
Ick Wrote:I see that you are using a later version of STARMAN: Would you happen to have a link to the latest version that works with the latest version of StarOs?
ninedd Wrote:Sure - I'll make sure my latest version is uploaded and I'll post a link here. I wasn't sure that anyone was using it, so I wasn't too concerned about uploading it. I'll post something in the next day or so.
Quote:The reason it looked interesting to me is that it is reporting Quality, which doesn't seem to be accurate in the later versions, all at 100%
DrLove73 Wrote:It works on on 1.5.16.7, it does not stay on 100%.
Quote:Ah, good to know. I thought Starman was doing some magic.
But of course it's doing some 'Magic'! Big Grin Part of what's unique about StarMAN is that it's showing the Q% and Signals and Noise's FROM THE CPE's PERSPECTIVE. In a regular Putty Display, you see the Q%, S, N that the AP side has, but you normally would have to log into each CPE's to see what each one thought about it's connection.

When our networks started to get larger, the things we saw that REALLY affected performance were things like:
1) Having a CPE that was 'deaf', so that it's TX was fine, and the AP could hear it at -63, but the RX of the CPE card would be deaf and only hearing the AP at -80 - this normally wouldn't show up anywhere obvious, until the cutomer reported problems and we logged into the CPE to check.

2) Having a connection where the AP side could transmit to the CPE OK (so Q% from the AP was good) but the CPE couldn't TX back to the AP very well (so Q% from the CPE was poor) - this normally wouldn't show up anywhere.

3) Having a CPE that had it's power turned up or down too much. There was no easy way to see all the Power settings on the CPE side, without logging into each CPE and looking at each one.

4) Having a CPE with a miss-matched Firmware from the AP. Regardless of the FW Version, we've always found that having a matched versions is the best performance. There are times when a customer has their CPE off during upgrading some AP, or we'd simply get interrupted and lose track, or for whatever reason some CPE's misses the FW upgrade, and you can end up with a couple CPE's that are older versions. Seeing all the CPE FW Versions at one time is really handy to know what is everything is running.

Ideas for Future Versions:
Batch Operations: StarMAN .99 already does batch firmware uploads (which can REALLY save time) but other batch functions like rebooting all selected CPE's will be easier.

Display CPE "Uptime". Again, same as above - something that's not readily apparent without logging into all the CPE's on an AP. A CPE that has a 300 day uptime could probably use a reboot, and a CPE that never get's over a few hours Uptime may be rebooting and the customer hasn't reported it.
Hello all. We have been doing LOTS of Firmware upgrades, so it's time to release the next version of StarMAN!

This is version 0.99f, and as always, it's without any warranty - it's written for us, for our network, for our systems. We're confident that it works very well for us, but it may rain destruction & pestilence on your network for all I know.

Version 0.99f is available here: http://www.9DollarDomains.com/sos/StarMAN.zip

Changes from earlier versions:

- Has a 'Firmware Upgrade' mode, and a 'Full Managment' mode. If all you want to do is just use it to upgrade Firmware's on your network, then you can just select '1' to limit it to Firmware mode, and it'll be a bit faster, since it won't need to read all the signal/rates/Q% and stuff from every CPE.

- Has 'Batch' firmware upgrades now, to make it much faster. THERE IS NO HARDWARE PLATFORM CHECKING yet, so when you multiple select a bunch of CPE's, you really need to make sure they are all the same type of hardware, since it'll upload the same firmware file to all those devices. Of course, StarOS itself checks if it's a valid firmware file or not, so this shouldn't be any real issue exactly, but for convenience and safety, select all your MIPS boards and upgrade them with the MIPS firmware, and then separately select all your SIAM boards and upgrade them with the SIAM firmware and so on.

- .99f now displayes each CPE's IP in yellow as it uploads the new Firmware. Much easier to keep track when batch uploading a whole bunch.

- .99f now understands the new Firmware Naming standard introduced in 1.5.16.6

Quick start Installation - You should be able to just:
1) Download and Uncompress the archive. I just put it on my Desktop.
2) If you don't alreay have it installed, install Net-SNMP for Windows (appropriate x86 or 64bit version)
http://sourceforge.net/projects/net-snmp...-binaries/
3) Edit the starman.ini file to contain your SNMP community name, and your putty password
4) Put some StarV3 firmware .pkg files in the firmware directory

Notes: On our network, we have almost 100% StarOS CPE's, so it won't work all that well with a bunch of alien CPE's. I do have a couple old AP's with some TR's, so I've been meaning to add a 'blacklist' feature, were certain IP's can be ignored, which would make things faster. NEXT VERSION WILL BE ABLE TO BLACKLIST & SKIP ALIEN IP's and a BUNCH MORE BATCH FUNCTIONS.

Also, on our network, we route everything and don't do any bridging. I'm guessing that where there are bridges, the customer's computer/router will respond to the PING test, and then StarMAN will try to communicate with this IP as if it was the CPE. On our network, when I give it a /24 to poll, every 'alive' IP address IS a CPE. When I add the blacklist feature, it'll maybe help with WDS briding mode, I don't know. No one has really reported much in the way of how well this works for them on their network.

Future Versions:
There still is a V2.0 in the works, but it's got feature creep and it's not documented or working well. It's got that 'works good enough to get the job done, so I don't work on it anymore' problem. I still am working on it now and again, but no ETA.

Feel free to post things you'd like to see, or any problems you have, and I'll update a ToDo list.

- Todd

Known Issues : Something's changed on Windows 7, so that non-existant IP's sometimes show up - 10.10.3.367 for example. Doesn't seem to have this issue on XP, so still trying to track it down.
Yeaaaaaa.
I don't have to change system date anymore?
There's too many stupid people in the world, and they all have kids.
mrmike Wrote:Yeaaaaaa.
I don't have to change system date anymore?
LOL. No, this version actually likes 2011. I have an internal version I have here that has a bunch more tricks, but just isn't polished or documented enough to release it. Actually, I didn't really think there was anyone out there using it, so I hanen't really worried about tweaking it to much... Maybe I will..

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  StarMAN (Star-OS / Gecko Firmware & Wireless Network Manager) ninedd 20 13,303 05-07-2014, 02:33 AM
Last Post: ripv
  StarMAN (Star Firmware & CPE Management Tool) ninedd 8 2,845 05-27-2011, 01:46 AM
Last Post: ninedd