Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tree Tower?
luke541 Wrote:Some time back I said i'd post a picture of a one of my "Tree Towers". Here is one taken while reworking/upgrading a tree recently. Its a little messy half way into the job, but here you go!

http://nonwired.net/DSC00013.JPG

This site "tree" currently covers about 150 subs. Smile

wow, that sure is industrious !

I'd love to live in a liberal (or sensible) country where people could go along to get along a bit more. In recent years here in Ireland everyone objects to everything and it seems business is the loser most of the time. It makes me very jealous to hear of some of you guys putting up your own towers and is this case taking over a tree to use as a POP..! In Ireland taking over a tree would no doubt lead to lifetime imprisonment and as for putting up your own tower - firing squad..Big Grin
ripv Wrote:In Ireland taking over a tree would no doubt lead to lifetime imprisonment and as for putting up your own tower - firing squad..

That's to bad its not that easy for you guys. We just look for that "just right" home on a hill that has a nice view, we knock on the door and say in a nutshell "would you like free high speed in trade for letting us put a thing "we'll call it" in yer tree?" It will get you high speed And help a few neighbors get high speed as well. And the response 95% of the time has been PLEASE do! Usually this is because Dialup or Satellite is the only option for these folks.

So out of about 40 pops I have about 15 or more in tree's! I'd say about 400 or more of our customers are covered by a Pine or Redwood tree. Oh and some backup tree backhauls. Rolleyes

They are all on Private land and we don't disclose to anyone where they are loacted. And in most situations the equipment is 100' up or more in the tree "that's already on a hill". Even the home owner can't see the equipment because of the branches going up the tree. So it works out well for Us and for Them as well. There is still a little bit of that People take care of People attitude down here in these parts of Orygun. Hope it lasts!
Dude, that's awesome. good stuff
I dont have the right areas for using a lot of trees but it is certainly a tool in my tickle trunk now. tks
luke541 Wrote:There is still a little bit of that People take care of People attitude down here in these parts of Orygun. Hope it lasts!

It's alive in these parts as well Smile
Questions for someone here still using tree as tower:

1. Are you using lag bolts for attach the APs/Antennas to the trees?

2. Does the lag bolts hurt the tree?

3. Are the APs on trees grounding or not?

Thanks,
1> Probably over kill on the lag bolts but a good wood screw for sure
2> probably not enough metal to harm a climbing tree
3> No Grounding would have to be done in some form or fashion
Kevin Gerrard

"Anyman who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
government take care of him--- better take a closer look at the
American Indian."