Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New 2.4 GHz hardware coming
(08-20-2019, 09:38 PM)lonnie Wrote: it does not support the ## channels

That makes it unusable at 40% of our sites.
(08-20-2019, 09:38 PM)lonnie Wrote: No quick start yet, but it is on the list.  OpenWrt is pretty straight forward and connects easily.  The problem, and it is my 110% focus, is that it does not support the ## channels.On normal channels it connects very quickly and is rock solid.

It doesn't seem to be compatible with HT5 or HT10 channels either?
(08-21-2019, 10:12 AM)ninedd Wrote:
(08-20-2019, 09:38 PM)lonnie Wrote: No quick start yet, but it is on the list.  OpenWrt is pretty straight forward and connects easily.  The problem, and it is my 110% focus, is that it does not support the ## channels.On normal channels it connects very quickly and is rock solid.

If that's true, this gear is 100% worthless for us - all our sites are HT10.
(08-22-2019, 09:43 AM)mickeym Wrote:
(08-21-2019, 10:12 AM)ninedd Wrote:

If that's true, this gear is 100% worthless for us - all our sites are HT10.

Well, I don't want to jump to any conclusions.  Smile  I'm sure they are a work in progress. Also - I know nothing about OpenWRT, so don't jump to any conclusions based on what I said... I could easily be incorrect on ALL this info.

So far, what I see (mostly all of which are unfortunately deal breakers for me if true) are the following: 

- No HT10 that I can see. Virtually all our 2.4Ghz StarOS AP's are 10 Mhz wide

- No ## (there is a 00-World country, but that doesn't seem to be compatible)

- Specs say it's a 27 dBm card, OpenWRT only seems to set to 20

- 48 Volt POE. so we would now need to keep track of a new Power Supply in the wild, and be careful not to blow anything up. Plus we'd need to have access inside every house for every repair/upgrades now, making things much more difficult & time consuming to schedule. In our real world, with every other CPE being 24v, we can pop up on the roof and change a broken CPE in 15 minutes without the client even needing to come home from work - that's no longer the case if these are going to be 48v.

- With WAR1B, the '14 db integrated antenna' version and the 'External Connectors' version were really the same unit with u.fl pigtails connected, so we could buy and stock a single SKU of WAR1B, and never have to worry about having the wrong version in the Van. These now looks to be a soldered on connector inside - so it looks like we would have to stock & carry multiple SKUs.

Again - this is just my 1st impressions, and/all of which might be wrong. Smile
OpenWrt does not support the StarOS enhancements for the wifi. 5, 10 MHz channels, ## and Managed mode.

It is work in progress to add those missing features to it, and I have promised a timeline of 4 weeks (last week) so the clock is ticking.

The new hardware with an external antenna is quite a bit cheaper making it easier to have a stock of both units. The units are also smaller making it easy to tuck a couple of them into your van.

As for the 48V, the maker is supporting Active POE and that means it requires an ability for higher than 24V. During development I am continually changing between units and often run into the wrong power supply. But once I use the proper one, it works just as good as if I had used it the first time. It is not often that gear gets changed, so this is only an issue on the initial install.