Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thinking about this all i have very similar issues with the alix boards where some of them just get too hot and stop responding where they need to have power removed and reset for unit to come back online. I wonder if these war1b units are getting too hot since they are running AP mode and managing so much more than a cpe would?? Maybe you could see if you could lower processor speed a bit and lower radio power settings a bit in firmware and see if that helps stability. For the alix's that i have issues with i just put a foxconn 7g090 heatsink on the chip and that resolves the issue. May be a thought to try. I did try this on the Ventana units but still did not fix so i dunno??
go.fast Wrote:Thanks Andy for that info. Did you by chance get Gateworks to do anything about your older , earlier revision boards?

No, Gateworks did not have any fixes or even a repair program. They said that technically it is not a hardware failure but rather a compatibility problem with Ath9X and certain drivers. Since the issue exist in software and can be fixed by software they did not feel obligated to warranty the boards with a replacement. Therefore I have a fleet of 4-E boards that I can't do anything with unless there is some kind of patch that can be applied.

I wonder if V1.5.17 would work on these older boards?
-Andy
PTI Wireless
Ryan Wrote:Thinking about this all i have very similar issues with the alix boards where some of them just get too hot and stop responding where they need to have power removed and reset for unit to come back online. I wonder if these war1b units are getting too hot since they are running AP mode and managing so much more than a cpe would?? Maybe you could see if you could lower processor speed a bit and lower radio power settings a bit in firmware and see if that helps stability. For the alix's that i have issues with i just put a foxconn 7g090 heatsink on the chip and that resolves the issue. May be a thought to try. I did try this on the Ventana units but still did not fix so i dunno??

If the war1b issue was heat related then you should see different results day vs night and summer vs winter. Since the same reset issue also exists on the Laguna platform my thinking is that it is not hardware related. Although I never do see the declining signal and loss of connections - just random resets or loss of data throughput. I'm thinking that the signal issue is limited to 2.4GHz as I saw that happen in v1.5.17 as well with 900MHz and 2.4GHz where noisy environments caused the signal to keep dropping until the connection was gone and then ping watchdog brings it back. This issue we are seeing may not be the same thing though.
-Andy
PTI Wireless
A quick update to let you know I'm not asleep at the wheel.

I have a new driver based on the older version AND the very latest available. It is compiling and working with nearly the same performance as the previous ones, so I am pleased. In my environment it has run for a day or more before I update.

I have FINALLY got the gui starting to show up, so it will not be too long.

## will come once I am sure the core code is solid, ie no AP dropouts. It will be a good test to have the AP contending with even more noise to see if it can remain solid.
Thanks Lonnie
Just liek the prverbial 10 minute job this has taken far longer than expected even though I thought I was very close.

The good news is it came together and I am running an overnight test.

The first one will be the war1b since it is the one in most need of an update. This will NOT have ## but my hope is that you will test it in a BAD location and the lack of ## will stress it even more. If it passes that test then when ## comes it will be truly better.