Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
M1214 - field replaceable ethernet connector
Is it just me that dislikes the ethernet attachment method used by the M1214 and X4000 radios? Or am I missing something that would make them more convenient?

I used to use Rootennas, and I would spend the extra $5 for the PacWireless field replaceable ethernet connector . That allowed me to mount the radio, then worry about running a Cat5 cable to it (putting the end on the ground, etc). The M1208 radios are similar, and very easy to work with.

Now with the new style cases, I either need the case open up on the roof, or guess how much cable I need and assemble it in advance. I really hate the extra time doing that in the field. Seems like there must be a better technique?

Or has someone found a brand of ethernet connector that works with the 1214?
Instead of guessing cable length ahead of time, could you just put the box of cat-5 roughly where the end point inside the house needs to be, drill out and pull the cable through, feed the cable into the unit at ground level, and then climb the tower/roof and mount the unit. After that, you would just need to go back in the house, pull whatever other cable you need for the computer end of the run, and then terminate the computer end of the run.
Wiki: http://staros.tog.net/wiki/Main_Page

Why not share some of your knowledge with the community?
[url=http://forums.star-os.com/showthread.php?t=7325][/url]
valenti Wrote:Is it just me

Or has someone found a brand of ethernet connector that works with the 1214?

It's not you.
I still use rootennas everywhere except for xr9 subs and 4 port repeaters.

The reason I don't use the complete units is, horizontal mount is akward and it takes too long to swap out a unit. Opening up and playing with connectors is too time consuming up there on the roof.

I think the lack of quick connect has cost Lonnie sales.
I'm sure there are a good percentage that would use star if it was simpler to install.
The first time I took one out of the box and tried to figure out how to mount it horizontally the only thing I could think was Rube Goldberg. There is a lot of complexity to accomplish something that should be simple.
I have one mounted horizontal, but all the others are vertical.

For the 4 port box, it's easy and I have no complaints, other than it would be really efficient, if when I needed to replace an ap, for what ever reason, to just be able to unplug it, undo 4 n make connectors and plug the new one in and connect 4 n male connectors.
I'm sure there are good reasons for the connector being used in the current systems, but I too would like to see an option for a quick connect or at least a pass-thru that is big enought to pull a terminated cat5 and RJ45 out of it and insert it into a new box. Simple change. Much less frustration.

Davidd
I used to use those field replaceable ethernet connectors but I had too many of them fail and let water in. I don't mind the little extra work if the equipment stays dry. I have never had a moisture issue with the M1214 or the Rootennas with just the grommet.

We have about 50% of our M1214s mounted horizontal without much trouble. We use hose clamps for the horizontal mount and ubolts for the vertical. Just what we have found to work.
We made the unit hinged so it would be easy to open and unplug the Ethernet. It is a stable connection system.

You guys do not like the IDC connectors we use, but I do not like the crimps you use. Since I will get the reliability complaints if I start to use crimps, I choose not to do that. You can make any field mods you like, but I will simply not use any crimped connectors on the outdoor cat5.

Thanks for the comments Jeff. You always know how to step up to the plate and be helpful. It is much appreciated.
lonnie Wrote:Thanks for the comments Jeff. You always know how to step up to the plate and be helpful. It is much appreciated.

I have used may different cpe and cases for access points and I have never seen one with so much mechanical complexity. In the end it takes more time to install than any other unit I've used and more time to switch out for replacement. I did not comment on any of the specific engineering choices only the level of complexity that was used. I am a firm believer in KISS both for the design and for the steps necessary to install and maintain. I specifically didn't want to debate each choice made. I'm quite sure whoever designed it had plenty of reasons for each choice. The comment was about the end result and reflects my feeling that there must be a better way.
lonnie Wrote:You guys do not like the IDC connectors we use, but I do not like the crimps you use. Since I will get the reliability complaints if I start to use crimps, I choose not to do that. You can make any field mods you like, but I will simply not use any crimped connectors on the outdoor cat5.

I guess this debate will never end. Since the cpe units that ship in the millions all require crimp connectors on solid cable and yours are the only ones I know that recommend punch down at the cpe. I would guess the ratio of installed with crimp to installed with punch down to be something in excess of 1000 to 1. This is the only forum I am familiar with where this is even a topic of discussion. When it comes to cabling issues we have had to replace a few interior jacks that failed for some reason as well as a few passive power injectors that also failed, but to my memory we have never had a crimp connector that was working fail after the fact short of ice pulling the entire cable out of the unit. It is possible to make a bad crimp, but once made we have found them to be the most reliable component in the whole system. Of course we only buy quality solid cable crimp connectors and use quality ratcheting tools. I doubt that chain store connectors and tools have the same reliability, but anyone who would use them can probably screw up a punch down as well.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Weatherproof Ethernet Couplers ninedd 13 7,794 08-22-2010, 08:02 PM
Last Post: pops
  M1214 - mounting ? hatster 5 3,209 02-27-2009, 03:06 AM
Last Post: rbolduc
  Which outdoor ethernet cable? tkmbe 7 4,113 03-31-2006, 03:15 AM
Last Post: gunther_01