Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lucaya H-Pol
Sorry if this has been asked and answered, I looked but did not find the answer.

I have not used any of the new Lucaya integrated models. (m1208 and M1517) Do they have a provision for Horiz Polarization? I have a couple sites that are H-pol only.

Also are there more pictures of these units available? Maybe dimensional drawings? Anyone know haw hard it would be to add a reflector? The antenna is a bit weak at 8 db for some of my sites.

Thanks,

Joe
The M1208 cannot be re-oriented but the M1517 can be turned 90 degrees.

You can add an external antenna to the M1208 using the RPSMA connector and selecting the opposite antenna in software.
I would second a M1208-Horizontal if it could be made available. We're going to be switching a lot of our POPs to Horizontal at the same time we are switching everyone to Star-OS based units so we can do 10mhz or 5mhz channels. Using M1208's with an external antenna is an option but it would be "cleaner" (ie less aesthetically displeasing gadgetry on the side of a customer's house) if there was an integrated CPE solution as most of them would be fine with "only" an M1208 IF it was H-pol.

I popped the unit open to see and one could probably rotate the antenna element with some good soldering skills, but I lack them.

Any chance of getting a bit more gain in a future (esp horizontal) model (antenna gain, not radio gain although that would be nice too) in the same sized form factor? Could one mount a PCB-based etched antenna element and mount it on top of the WAR1 board and still have it fit in the case? Especially if it was in a square mounting configuration because then the customer could pop it apart and rotate it -- saving the manufacture of two separate models.

The Ubiquiti NanoStation2 looks pretty awesome for a cheap CPE with external antenna connector, dual polarity 10db integrated antenna, and cloaking BUT it doesn't run StarOS as far as I know and I want to be 100% StarOS because you never know what cool new features Lonnie and Tony may have up their sleeves...
We are taking a look at some options for the future. For now we have what we have. It will be an interesting year.
Second that too. All our 600 starOs customers installs are H-Pol. Waiting for that interesting year :-)
My year's been pretty interesting so far... Smile
Me too... so far :-) best is to come
My techs are raising concerns about the mounts used on the M1517 and I guess all the metal gray boxed units. In particular, the steel swivel piece that attaches to the box. They're coming up with all sorts of engineering ideas to shore it up. It's very windy in this area so we probably have more stress from that than normal.
greg Wrote:My techs are raising concerns about the mounts used on the M1517 and I guess all the metal gray boxed units. In particular, the steel swivel piece that attaches to the box. They're coming up with all sorts of engineering ideas to shore it up. It's very windy in this area so we probably have more stress from that than normal.

We are finding that the mount on the 1517 box tends to bend in the high winds we have, the steel used in these mounts is very thin. We would like to see the mounts made of a thicker gauge steel and only 2" u bolts.
The box said "Requires Windows XP or better"........................ So I installed LINUX.....
The guage of the mounting bracket has been beefed up considerably and all the units we're shipping now have the heavier version.

This has been true of the M1214 units for a while, and now the M1517 units have the stronger brackets as well. We are also working on an alternative for the u-bolts to use smaller ones.

Thanks,

George

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lucaya M1208 Update therealboss 1 2,442 01-18-2008, 05:11 AM
Last Post: lonnie
  Where the lucaya equipment comes from? pachitoone 1 2,459 01-03-2008, 03:44 AM
Last Post: lonnie
  Lucaya CPE with integrated antenna SpecialK 7 4,101 10-30-2007, 04:32 AM
Last Post: rbolduc