Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Installing a client with a meter?
Years ago I used to work for a large MMDS/CABLE TV company. We used to use these http://www.nedis.com/Articles/Promax/PRX-MC160B.php to align the MMDS antenna. The signal would come in on 2.3Ghz then go through a down-convter to the VHF high bands where the meters could pick up the signal.

I have pulled my old MC-160B meter out from under the bed tonight and was wondering if there was some sort of a downconverter that could be got to down convert the normal wi-fi 2.4Ghz signals down to the VHF high band for my meter to pick up?

It would be very handy for installing parabolic antenna.
It almost certainly wouldn't work. Unless there's an association and traffic passing, the signal would be much too fragmented to show anything useful on a meter.
Paul
Premier Wrote:Years ago I used to work for a large MMDS/CABLE TV company. We used to use these http://www.nedis.com/Articles/Promax/PRX-MC160B.php to align the MMDS antenna. The signal would come in on 2.3Ghz then go through a down-convter to the VHF high bands where the meters could pick up the signal.

I have pulled my old MC-160B meter out from under the bed tonight and was wondering if there was some sort of a downconverter that could be got to down convert the normal wi-fi 2.4Ghz signals down to the VHF high band for my meter to pick up?

It would be very handy for installing parabolic antenna.

On those touchy paths with a 31 dbi dish I have used a surplus sig generator that puts out a steady source.
Then I use the spectrum analyzer and tune it for max peak.
Your meter would work the same way if you could block downvert to match it's range.
Way back when we tried some solid dishes that we got from Teletronics.
They had a pringels can type feed assy and it had to be slid in and out of it's spider mount to match the focal length and then rotated for a polarity match.
Checking antennas in the parking lot like this before an install can save you a lot of expensive time and embarrasments in the field.

IMHO you are on the right track.
Is all boils down to what tools you can afford.

Now where can I get a used KU satellite SA tester for my FTA hobby?
Dave
<
@)
(Cooter>>
^^^^^^^^^^
Vrablic

"I have no excuses, Just reasons"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Admin'ing Client's Router ninedd 2 2,018 07-17-2010, 02:34 AM
Last Post: DrLove73
  CHEAP 2.4GHZ Access point that supports client mode theo 21 7,960 05-28-2007, 11:44 PM
Last Post: DrLove73
  Client routers after bridge CPE, What works and what doesn't gunther_01 11 5,068 12-01-2005, 11:19 PM
Last Post: gunther_01
  WAP54G client needs reboot to associate after STAR-OS changes dgj 1 1,958 05-23-2005, 03:28 AM
Last Post: titan_wireless
  Client units (Linksys) compatible with Star-OS AP? dgj 4 2,875 04-02-2005, 12:20 AM
Last Post: billr
  client authentication methods/pppoe Anonymous 7 3,530 05-19-2004, 06:16 AM
Last Post: monkeyboy