Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WAR 1 V.3 internal netwoek questions.
I have an possible customer application.

1. Large room open warehouse type enviroment.
2. Wireing would be a pain and expensive take time.
3. About 20 workstations with IP phones.
Phones have pass through connections for workstations.
3.a (For traffic load, lets pretend that everyone is busy)
4. Everything in one open area (unobstructed-signal will be no problem.)
5. Most likely use 5.x frequency.
6. Thinking single AP on a wall for simplicity but a WAR 2 or 4 could split up the load if needed.

Questions and concerns:

I have never considered anything this dense with this much traffic.
This kind of re addresses the gamers and downloaders traffic quesions.
Only this time we want to pass the traffic not limmit it.
-----------------
Major concern is what happens when there are collisions
(i.e. when multiple stations try to send simulaneously.)
If we have about 15-20 stations with phones on wireless, even with QOS, I'm worried that the needed retransmissions will cause excessive jitter.

This would surely be a throughput test.
All opinions welcomed.

Wish we had a pretty little inside enclosure for WAR-1's for this type of thing.
Dave
<
@)
(Cooter>>
^^^^^^^^^^
Vrablic

"I have no excuses, Just reasons"

Sounds like an interesting application.

To push the maximum throughput possible out of the WAR-1, ensure that it is:

1. Disable connection tracking. (most important, can gain 50% performance gain)
2. Routing is actually faster than bridging.

With QoS, make sure both the client and AP support it. (any of the 1.2.1+ releases).
We will have that pretty, little, inside enclosure very soon. Remember the announcement of the CanoWAR? It will be arriving here in 10 days and it doesn't get any easier or nicer looking for indoor or outdoor use.

I would put a sector antenna high up in a corner of the wall/roofline and point it down.

With the builtin antenna of the CanoWAR you will have total coverage even with obstructions. Worst case is to put another sector in an adjacent corner.
The main room is only 40 ft square.
The ceilings are 20 ft high.
--------------------
It looks like I am always looking for hardware lately ;-)
If they decide to go this route they will want it within two weeks.
-------------------
Now the big question .
Will it work?
I hate to purchase all the gear install it and find that it won't get the job done.
Dave
<
@)
(Cooter>>
^^^^^^^^^^
Vrablic

It will work IF you set it up as I recommended. Sector in one corner, CanoWAR units at each desk.
Sorry for my lack of clarity.
I am not worried about RF or signal levels.

This was my real question regarding "Will it work".

Major concern is what happens when there are collisions
(i.e. when multiple stations try to send simulaneously.)
If we have about 15-20 stations with phones on wireless, even with QOS, I'm worried that the needed retransmissions will cause excessive jitter.
---------------
Any comments on this point?.
Dave
<
@)
(Cooter>>
^^^^^^^^^^
Vrablic

I'm assuming the issue is voice and 20 phones talking across your ap at one time is making you think there is too much activity for a qulaity voice connection.

Even though your dealing with a small room, you may want to do two or even three sectors if the network is that busy or the calls get broken up.

In a room that small 5 gig omni's on a metro should be fine. It' not too much extra money to add sectors.
Yep go.fast
That is where I was heading with my question.
The major consideration is jitt-ttt-er on the phone system.

I don't know if we have ever really resolved the upper limits and answered the question
" What is the absolute max" capabilities of a WAR-1, WAR 2 and WAR 4 systems.
Maybe we will get to find out.

More and more corp types around here want flexability and no hanging wires from the ceilings.

Hey I just thought , isn't this what Home Depot is doing with all those AP in each store?
The only thing is they don't have the desktop traffic that I expect.
Dave
<
@)
(Cooter>>
^^^^^^^^^^
Vrablic

I wouldn't think it would be a problem if you use all V3 with the new QOS features. But I would stick to a WAR2 or metro for AP for sure. WAR1 at each station is going to pass plenty of data. you said .11a so you already have the PPS capabilites or at least more so then .11b...

It's always a test and see thing, but it sure will be easier then a full outdoor fixed point test. Like others said, worst case you break it up in to a few sectors.

You havn't really given a bandwidth spec on this though have you, for the desktops. and are we talking about 20 different phone lines like a call center where they most definately will all be in use at the same time. I still not to worried.. It's StarV3
Yea I know,..those things happen.
David L. Vrablic Wrote:Yep go.fast
That is where I was heading with my question.
The major consideration is jitt-ttt-er on the phone system.

I have a resort hotel that has an Asterisk server at their site, plus one at my site where I terminate an E-1 for them. They have almost as many simultaneous calls as you are talking, plus outging Internet traffic through another 2Mb frame relay. Their voice quality is incredible -- beautiful. Now, I am using trunking via IAX2 which minimized bandwidth usage. But there are calculators out there to tell you how much bandwidth a given voice algorithm (like ulaw) will use. Your throughput will be well in excess of that. You just need to limit all non-voice (SIP/H323/whatever) so that it can't interfere. If your throughput tests show 20Mb, then restrict non-voice traffic to 10Mb. Should not be a problem. And you should be able to control jitter to a degree.

David-