Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WAR-1 Losses
Since we began installing WAR-1 units, we have lost over 17% of these due to seemingly not too sever weather - these have all been in Rootennas - our grounding practices are the same as always: all mounting hardware (mast or tripod or wall mount or eve mount or whatever) is grounded - the cat5 run goes through a metal Hyperlink lightning arrestor (also grounded) before reaching the POE + PS - all customers PS are in surge strips.

In all but one case, the PS is shorted and cold, putting out no power - these are the 3Comm PS we received when ordering our gear from Star resellers.

In EVERY case, the radio (WLM54bg) is NOT damaged and performs fine in a new WAR-1, suggesting something on the WAR-1 board much more sensitive than the radio.

Our network still has a mix of Tranzeo, CB3, Trango, and Waverider, all grounded as above and with NO losses from this same weather.

This is becoming a credibility issue with subscribers, not to mention the time used on part replacement taken away from new installs.

Thanks for any suggestions.
We have not seen any WAR1 deaths. Is anybody else seeing them die like that?
We have deployed about 10 WAR1s, a mixture of 2.4GHz using the WLM54G and SR2 and 900MHz using the SR9

None have failed...
After deploying about 130 of the war-1's, I have had about 7 that won't see the wlm54g card right out of the fedex box until being re-seated several times. I have 4 that never show a card once booted, even with the newested beta os loaded it won't see a card.

I have only had one war-1 fail while in service. It powers on, but does not boot. Can these be re-flashed? I'll search around some more. on that.

So my biggest problem has been the units that don't see a card right out of the box.

I love the war series boards though!
We have deployed nearly 50 WAR1 thus far. I have one that brand new would not recognise the mPCI card no matter what I do. Other than that we have not had a single failure in the field. During a storm in June we lost 9 of the realtek client bridges.

I will not that we do NOT ground the installs anymore. After consulting with our insurance company we either have to follow the Ontario Electrical Safety Authority standard for grounding, or we simply do not ground them. The Ontario ESA requires minimum of a 4ga ground wire to an approved ground. An approved ground is one of: a new buried ground plate, a 10' 1/2" dia ground rod driven to full depth, or a permanent connection inside the electrical panel to the existing ground (which must be connected by a licensed electrician).

The example the insurance company cited was this: When Bell ExpressVu or StarChoice installs a dish on your home for satellite TV, do they ground the dish? The answer is obviously no. It is accepted practise for this type of install that it is not grounded and thus you can not be held liable for any lightning damage that may arise from the unit being present even if it is proven that lightning struck this equipment and burnt the house down. Since we sell the hardware to the end user, any lightning damage becomes their responsibility. We have done full grounding of a few sites that appeared as though they would be a problem, at considerable extra expense to the customer.

Thus far my opinion of the WAR1 is that it is a solid and reliable performer.
Stratolinks Wrote:We have deployed nearly 50 WAR1 thus far. I have one that brand new would not recognise the mPCI card no matter what I do. Other than that we have not had a single failure in the field. During a storm in June we lost 9 of the realtek client bridges.

I will not that we do NOT ground the installs anymore. After consulting with our insurance company we either have to follow the Ontario Electrical Safety Authority standard for grounding, or we simply do not ground them. The Ontario ESA requires minimum of a 4ga ground wire to an approved ground. An approved ground is one of: a new buried ground plate, a 10' 1/2" dia ground rod driven to full depth, or a permanent connection inside the electrical panel to the existing ground (which must be connected by a licensed electrician).

The example the insurance company cited was this: When Bell ExpressVu or StarChoice installs a dish on your home for satellite TV, do they ground the dish? The answer is obviously no. It is accepted practise for this type of install that it is not grounded and thus you can not be held liable for any lightning damage that may arise from the unit being present even if it is proven that lightning struck this equipment and burnt the house down. Since we sell the hardware to the end user, any lightning damage becomes their responsibility. We have done full grounding of a few sites that appeared as though they would be a problem, at considerable extra expense to the customer.

Thus far my opinion of the WAR1 is that it is a solid and reliable performer.

Execpt for my AP's I have grounded none of my CPE installs and have lost NONE to bad weather/lightning.. some CPE200's are over 5 years old.. well that said, now I'll get hit Sad

Reed
Hand picking business customers from DSL for 7 years Smile
The physical miniPCI slot on the WAR-1 seems touchy, we also often have to re-seat the miniPCI card to get it to recognize.

We've had I think 2 DOAs and a couple that died out of 50. Nothing out of the ordinary really.
Thanks for the replies - one more question:

Are the 'good survival' installs being done with shielded or unshielded cat5?

We're using heavy sheath, flooded, unshielded - thinking of switching to shielded.

Thanks again.
We lost 7 WAR1s in one day about a month ago when a storm rolled through, none were grounded. All of them had their ethernet ports blown.

We didn't lose any of the old Tranzeos that were in that same area. The obvious differences between the two CPE is the tranzeo ethernet surge protector.

I can't complain and say that the WAR1s are defective because we didn't ground them properly (our bad). However, I suspect that they are more sensitive compared to other CPE.

Once we have been through a few storms with our newly grounded WAR1s, we will know more.
Chad Halsted
The Computer Works, Inc.
Conway, AR
(501) 329-9144
www.tcworks.net

Sarcasm helps keep you from telling people what you really think of them.
We always use shielded cable. I was not aware you could buy outdoor cable that was unshielded.+