Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New person to help with a manual
Carl Davis has stepped forward to take a shot at the manual. Below is part of his email to me. Carl is helping on some other programming tasks and I can assure you his main tasks are more important than documenting the obvious. So, keep your requests technical and to the point. Please make sure your requests are not real basic and also make sure you have read the existing manual.

I hate to have to say this but, Carl is not your research resource. He will do his best to help with a manual but he has other things with a higher priority, so I am asking that you really have a good try at figuring it out on your own. If it just does not come to you then please request a clarification or more documentation.

I saw several gripes about a lack of docs as well as threats of people dropping StarOS if they can't get docs. I am interested in heading up some documentation but I need some guidance as to what should be documented. My way of thinking is that a certain amount of knowledge is assumed (knowing a route from a root, knowing what an ESSID is as well as an IP address is). Given that premise, there isn't really a lot that could be generalized into documentation because the menu style and order is pretty much self-explanatory.

So, I have this to propose if you would like:
If you would be willing to start a thread named "Documentation Wishes" or something like it, I would be happy to collect peoples wishes over a period of time (say two weeks) and then begin creating, or modifying the current, documentation and leave specialized requests to the forum where they belong.
END QUOTE

So, keep this to the point. We are not doing a TCP how-to and it is assumed that you have a basic understanding of networking and wireless in general.
Way to go Carl!

I started to put together a bunch of screen shots with the war vx. I was going to post it to tech support on my web site that I had to resell wars.
Figured a picture was worth a thousand words.

George
Is this going to be for StarOS or VX or what?
StarV3 is the platform.
Quote:I saw several gripes about a lack of docs as well as threats of people dropping StarOS if they can't get docs. I am interested in heading up some documentation but I need some guidance as to what should be documented. My way of thinking is that a certain amount of knowledge is assumed (knowing a route from a root, knowing what an ESSID is as well as an IP address is). Given that premise, there isn't really a lot that could be generalized into documentation because the menu style and order is pretty much self-explanatory.

So, I have this to propose if you would like:
If you would be willing to start a thread named "Documentation Wishes" or something like it, I would be happy to collect peoples wishes over a period of time (say two weeks) and then begin creating, or modifying the current, documentation and leave specialized requests to the forum where they belong.
END QUOTE

So, keep this to the point. We are not doing a TCP how-to and it is assumed that you have a basic understanding of networking and wireless in general.

Well done Carl & it seems like a good plan.

There are always several ways to do most things & that is my problem identifying which is the best solution. What I would find useful would be "howtos" for specific tasks. Some possible topics :

1) Bandwith shaping - traffic management generally
2) Hotspot/authentication solutions
3) Dynamic routing - rip/ospf/olsr
4) Firewalling for different situations

If you want help, I would be happy to contribute to this initiative
I am really having a tough time routing. Everything I know, I have had to learn the hard way (trial and error), and from post on this site and others.

I have really given it an honest effort, but I feel that I am missing some of the basic fundamentals, you know the reasons why you do what you do.

It would be nice to have a StarOS specific How-To on routing. I'm not asking for every possible scenario, just the basics, and maybe a few examples.

I think this is one reason most people choose bridging their networks rather than routing. Maybe this would help others in taking a step in the right direction with their networks too.

The only other thing that comes to my mind that I could use some "inside" help on, would be network troubleshooting. For example; you are having latency issues, or high cpu utilizations... what StarOS imbedded utilities (Beacon, TCP Dump, Statistics..etc) do you guys use to find those clients that are spewing packets all over your network. How are you tracking down that virus infected pc. That would be good stuff to know.

StarOS is a great platform, and full of features, but I wonder how many people are getting all the benefits the system has to offer. If you don't know how to setup remote syslog, or how to properly interpret TCP Dump data it isn't very helpful.

Thanks.
http://www.learntosubnet.com/
http://www.learntcpip.com/