Time to let you guys know of the progress and plans for StarOS.

I will be doing one last update to the various firmwares to add a few driver changes and to get the kernels to a newer version.

After that, I have decided I HAVE to switch to OpenWRT in order to be able to do this with one guy. Of course that will mean that the GUI becomes web based, which will please some and and anger others.

This will give me a way newer kernel than even the updates I am planning. For instance the x86 and the Ventana move to a 4.x kernel and I can compile for 64 bit. The web GUI is slow compared to our SSH interface but it is very usable. My intention is to begin the process of adding our driver to the core, as an option. I will also be doing a dedicated GUI system to augment the web GUI . My work on the Stargaze and MyInfo organizers has evolved a very useful and powerful technique to handle almost any control data anywhere that you can have a SSH interface. I have been using it for all of my StarOS development, controlling the Linux virtual under VmWare from from a Windows 10 program. That work has shown me how to use it all for the setup GUI. I have tested with OpnWRT and it will work as expected.

I will be making the optional enhanced driver and the GUI a licensed item. This means that if you are content with the OpenWRT GUI and drivers, then it is for all intents and purposes a FREE firmware. Once I have support for our active platform bases I intend to start to add support for the active OpnWRT platforms, which will give you a much larger hardware base to choose from.

I have a Ventana core running quite nicely. I used it to test whether the OpenWRT drivers was worth porting to StarOS. I can easily add several VPN system, website support and a NAS that can be used for "whatever" you might find useful at a tower site, such as a collection of firmware to avoid downloading many times over your bandwidth. This can save a lot of bandwidth, but more importantly will be way faster since it is closer to the units being updated.

Initially I will be generating a stock OpenWRT but once it is stable and well received I will be open to adding different features that people might be requesting. My best guess is not to expect this phase for at least 6 months, so early 2018.