+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

David - Linux numbers the cards in the slots in the order they are 'found' on bootup. So, if you have a computer or if you have a Gateworks board with slots which are 1, 2, 3 & 4 - BUT if you happen to only have two radios in Slot 2 and Slot 4 - Linux will still identify those two cards as wpci1 and wpci2. If you have only one card, and if it's in Slot 3, when Linux boots up, it'll identify that sole card as WPCI1.

So, that can be confusing - what we always do is to populate one example of each type of board full of cards, and then write labels on the slots themselves on the board for 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. So, we have a 'master record' of what slots have which numbers on a WAR4 and on a METRO and on a VENTANA and so on. So, when we deploy a certain type of board, it's got slot numbers physically written on it. So, if we then put cards in slot 1, 3 & 4 - Linux will call those cards WPCI1, WPCI2 and WPCI3. But, at least with the slot numbers written on the slots, if we need to change WPCI3, we know not to expect WPCI3 to be in SLOT3 necessarily, because WPCI3 would actually be the 'third card' which is in SLOT4 in this example.
    Last edited by ninedd; 05-08-2016 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Spelling

I thought I had better follow up with this reply for other Ventana nubies.
    I avoided using the slot that was marked for a mem card. Then I thought about it and realized that you can populate the unit with 6 radio cards.
    That meant it shouldn't cause any problems starting with that slot and filling it out from there.
    It worked fine the very first time so I got what I needed to directly swap out Ventana's for WP-188's with 3 or 4 radios.
    Again thank you for the refresher info. All is well!
    Dave
    <
    @)
    (Cooter>>
    ^^^^^^^^^^
    Vrablic

"I have no excuses, Just reasons"

The link for the firmware has been deleted.
    There's too many stupid people in the world, and they all have kids.

Sorry about that. The wonders of left click and drag rather than right click copy and drag. I have fixed the link but here it is as well.

https://cp.sync.com/dl/eefcc90f0#9n8...pukt4-pmqymmxv

Quote Originally Posted by mrmike View Post
    The link for the firmware has been deleted.
    ..a computer is a stupid machine with the ability to do incredibly smart things, while computer programmers are smart people with the ability to do incredibly stupid things. They are,in short, a perfect match..

Try the latest 4.4.5.7-7842 release. It fixes the 11N card reset issue.
    http://www.star-os.com/ http://www.star-os.com/store

Hi there,

Is it possible to go straight from a STAR OS V2.10 4693 to the newer Gecko V4. It would be lot easier although I think I read it somewhere have to go to V3 first.
    I have topped up the licence account but there only the Gecko there for a new licence. I think I'd need a V3 as well or do I

I also seem to have trouble getting StarUtil to run on a windows 10 PC ...

I am currently running a Wrap router version
    Last edited by Fearrchair; 06-03-2016 at 05:35 PM.

Go to V3 first.
    ..a computer is a stupid machine with the ability to do incredibly smart things, while computer programmers are smart people with the ability to do incredibly stupid things. They are,in short, a perfect match..

Is this suposed to be the fixed version? Or is there still issues you are trying to address?

This version has some fixes that greatly reduced the incidents of the reset. After working with ninedd I determined that even though the resets were nearly gone, the unit still had issues, which I was trying to resolve. After a lot of Internet research I determined that the issues we are seeing plague many others. Since the code is quite old I have opted to a nearly complete update in order to get current. It is kind of like when you guys report problems with "old" releases, in that it does not help very much, since we can only fix the current release. Until I get the driver up to date I was essentially getting the response of "that's nice but is not relevant".

I made a huge breakthrough last night and the new driver is indeed, finally, compiling and it even works. Throughput tests are on par with the older driver so I have not hurt anything. When I say it works, it means that it works in the basic way that Atheros delivers. It lacks snmp hooks, ##, 5 & 10 MHz channels, sync, threshholds and in fact most of what makes our driver stand out. I am not concerned because now I can simply compare to the older driver and begin to add the missing features. The War1B is not working because there was a lot of magic from Tony to get it going. I am sure I can do some comparisons and get it going as well. It would be a high priority.

The key thing, is that like any construction project, you often see nothing going on and then it appears.

Once I get the user interface issues ironed out, I will be looking for tests by people that do not require the ##, etc. I will want to have the core driver tested and beat upon, while I continue to add the missing features. I am getting close to a true fix, and I do hope you guys can be patient a wee bit longer.

Quote Originally Posted by go.fast View Post
    Is this suposed to be the fixed version? Or is there still issues you are trying to address?