+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sorry for not responding for so long. New year mess and all that.

Lonnie, thanks for the offer, I will let network owner know and see what he says. I checked and difference between 2+3 units (+4 3x3 radios + pigtails) and 5 units at once is $120 so that sounds interesting.

How much can Full Duplex (4.3.3n) improve throughput? In percentages would be fine.

ninedd, I will "connect the dots" about what I need/look for in next few days and post. Most of it is already posted in a thread about hops and lower "hopping" throughput.
    Ljubomir Ljubojevic - Love is in the Air
    Google is the Mother, Google is the Father, and traceroute is your trusty Spiderman...
    StarOS and CentOS/RHEL/Linux consultant
    Powerful Starv3 manipulation tool - StarV3 Multipractik for Linux

Full Duplex uses 2 radios so it will be double, IF you have clear channels and enough separation so the 2 radios do not clobber each other. STandard stuff. No magic.

The Ventan "looks" expensive when all you need is one unit, BUT gets to be a lot better when you need multiple units. They are easier to deploy --> one cable run which will definitely make it cheaper. They are easier to maintain --> one login instead of 3 to 6 making it far simpler and I feel worth a bit extra. The idea that you must pump data outside the unit to route to others is also a potential possible problem with patch cords and switches.

A single Ventana should be able to handle pretty much any repeater site with its 6 radios and of course imagine having 6 units there for an AP cluster. 3 on 2.4 GHz and 3 on 5 GHz should cover the whole 360 degrees quite nicely.
    ..a computer is a stupid machine with the ability to do incredibly smart things, while computer programmers are smart people with the ability to do incredibly stupid things. They are,in short, a perfect match..

Try the latest 4.4.5.7-7842 release. It fixes the 11N card reset issue.
    http://www.star-os.com/ http://www.star-os.com/store

Note that full duplex does not mean double aggregated single direction traffic, it means each direction has a dedicated card and bandwidth potential which is great for backhaul or other primary heavy links.

I am messing with fdx setup right now trying to get traffic to flow through both eth0 ports on each end and am unable to. I have below settings just trying to get units setup to bridge traffic between units in full duplex.

alix1 with ether1= in br 1 ip = 192.168.1.1 alix2 with ether1= in br 1, ip = 192.168.1.2
    alix1 with wpci1 = rx role, group1 and interface in br 1----- Linked with alix2 with wpci1 = tx role, group1 and interface in br 1
    alix1 with wpci2 = tx role, group1 and interface in br 1----- Linked with alix2 with wpci1 = rx role, group1 and interface in br 1
    alix1 wpci1 ip = 192.168.3.1 alix2 wpci1 ip = 192.168.3.1

From alix1 side I have a pc plugged with both ip addresses 192.168.201.50 and 192.168.1.50 into ether1 and can ping all through to 192.168.1.2 on other radio but I cant ping the router that is plugged into ether1 on alix2 which has ip 192.168.201.1. Is there any working examples of how this has been successfully setup that works so I can just copy someone's working setup for FDX?

I finally got this working with changed settings

alix1 with ether1= in br 3 ip = 192.168.1.1----------------------alix2 with ether1= in br 3, ip = 192.168.1.2
    alix1 with wpci1 = rx role, group1 and interface in br 3--------- Linked with alix2 with wpci2 = tx role, group1 and interface in br 3
    alix1 with wpci2 = tx role, group1 and interface in br 3--------- Linked with alix2 with wpci2 = rx role, group1 and interface in br 3

It works Yeah

And that is how easy it is. All you are doing is "joining" the 2 radios. Ryan, out of curiosity, what radios are you using?

Since the Alix is not all that powerful for the CPU you might not experience any sort of increase in speed but the one thing you will notice is decreased response time since traffic in each direction can flow at the same time. This will make voice and video much smoother.
    ..a computer is a stupid machine with the ability to do incredibly smart things, while computer programmers are smart people with the ability to do incredibly stupid things. They are,in short, a perfect match..

Using Alix board Full duplex FDX I am using the wlm2000n5-26esd on 3 of the cards and wlm200nx for the other. I am using iperf for tests through units to a far side router.

iperf -c 192.168.201.1 -P 4 -d

HT10 1x1 I get 30meg 1 way and 30meg other way when not ran at same time.
    HT10 1x1 I can pass 26 meg both ways at same time.
    HT10 2x2 I can pass 50-55 meg both ways at same time.
    HT10 2x2 I get 55meg 1 way and 55meg other way when not ran at same time.
    HT20 2x2 I get about 75-80meg both ways at same time.
    HT20 2x2 I get 99meg 1 way and 99meg other way when not ran at same time.
    ht20 1x1 I get 53meg both ways at same time
    ht20 1x1 I get 60meg 1 way and 60meg other way when not ran at same time
    ht40 1x1 I get 85meg both ways at same time
    ht40 1x1 I get 99meg 1 way and 99meg other way when not ran at same time
    ht40 2x2 I get 85-95meg both ways at same time but processor pegs 100% and stops and doesn't complete tests for some reason

So looks like most efficient fdx setup with alix board using n cards would be ht20 2x2setup getting 100meg each direction for longer distance and shorter would be ht40 1x1 , total limitation of nic.

pretty sweet. Now I need to test Ventana next
    Last edited by Ryan; 01-22-2015 at 12:47 PM.

Ryan, thanks for the testing and report.

I think you will be quite pleased with the Ventana. It is the first unit in a lot of years that is actually faster than the cards. The PC Engines APU is next, but is not quite as suitable for tower use.

My view is that for any installation needing more than 2 radios the Ventana would be your best choice. It is easily powered using POE over a very wide range (18V to 56V). It has GOBS of processing power with its Qaud Core 1 GHz CPU. Dual GbE. I think if you loook at the total cost of any multi radio Tower then the Ventana will be cheaper and far easier to install and maintain.

Lonnie, I know all that. But when I have to say/guarantee that it WILL work as I said to the owner, I normally wanted to be absolutely sure I will not make a mistake
    Ljubomir Ljubojevic - Love is in the Air
    Google is the Mother, Google is the Father, and traceroute is your trusty Spiderman...
    StarOS and CentOS/RHEL/Linux consultant
    Powerful Starv3 manipulation tool - StarV3 Multipractik for Linux

At the end of the day all you can really say is what you have personally tried. Anything is else is just hearsay.

I have made you an offer of a discount to enable you to try it. There is not much more I can do. If you have ever used any of the War4 systems this will be way better. If your demo does not work as expected then you can reuse the hardware as a super FAST War4 with 2 extra radios.

Quote Originally Posted by DrLove73 View Post
    Lonnie, I know all that. But when I have to say/guarantee that it WILL work as I said to the owner, I normally wanted to be absolutely sure I will not make a mistake