+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ventana

Default Ventana

Hi. OK, first results with the Ventana 6 Port board and Firmware 4.2.0

First, here's a pic of putty showing the board with 6 cards populated - it's been running for a couple days, but just in testing, so no real client traffic on it. Putty shows 4x processors, each 990 Mhz, and it feels fast, it reboots really quickly. With 6 cards, it takes a bit longer to boot up, but still very quick to boot or to reboot.

ventana_AUG11_14.jpg

Secondly, here's a pic of two Ventana boards doing a throughput test. This was Compex 5Ghz cards in na40+ mode, with -53 signals in 2x2 mode. The CPU usage is pretty low.

throughput_CPU_AUG11_14.jpg

So the board at the front is doing a 'TX' test to the other Ventana, so it is the board generating the traffic, and it peaked at 12% CPU use while generating the traffic for the throughput test.

I did try putting in a Compex AC card, which was not recognized. That was expected, that's what Tony had said would happen with 4.2.0, but I had to check anyway.
    Last edited by ninedd; 08-14-2014 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Additional Info

Where did you source your cards?
    There's too many stupid people in the world, and they all have kids.

Pretty nice! What's the most throughput people have gotten out of 11n 5GHz 2x2? You should be able to achieve higher than 100mbit.
    StarOS Community Wiki: http://staros.tog.net/

Just with bench testing (against an Alix AP no less), I have been able to push more than 100 Mbps 2x2 throughput while running starutil on the Ventana client (to the Alix), over 2.4G. Test units about 20 feet apart.

Nice, you most likely topped out the ALIX's host processor before being able to use the entire 2x2 11n connection. I've found the ALIX can do roughly ~100mbit in one interface and roughly 40-55mbit when routing traffic in one interface and out another.
    StarOS Community Wiki: http://staros.tog.net/

The host was hitting 65%, so it was quite busy. The Ventana was 8% at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmike View Post
    Where did you source your cards?
    I've tested MiniPciExress Compex 2x2 cards, and Compex 3x cards, and Compex 3x3 11ac cards. The ac card aren't recognized (as expected, as Tony said) but the 11na and 11ng cards show up fine.

Hi. It doesn't appear that the Rate Caps or Locks work with version 4.2.0 firmware.

I spent the last hour doing bench tests with results below on the new ventana board using built in test. also did test through 1 unit to a router on network but tests were the same. These tests were done with the wle200nx 7a that cuelink is now selling.

Ventana
    5ghz bench tests
    x5 17-20 meg either direction
    x10 35-38 meg either direction
    x20 60-65 meg either direction
    x40+ 70-85 meg either direction

2.4ghz
    x5 15-18 meg either direction
    x10 35-36 meg either direction
    x20 60-65 meg either direction
    x40+ 70-82 meg either direction

I wonder how many active cards could handle these speeds at the same time if used as an ap. Unit gets pretty warm too. I was reading somewhere about the ability the ventana hardware has to change the processor speed options and was wondering in a future release if an option could be added to allow ability to slow processor down if needed to help keep unit cooler in hotter environments. Just wondering. Today it was only 106degree HOT.

@ninedd, I will look into the rate cap issue you are having. Can you please tell me what mode and band you are using, and weather the client in question is using WDS

@Ryan, we are planning on having the processor speed auto-adjust based on use. Expect this in a future release. The system should be able to handle multiple cards at optimal speeds without issues.