+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Laguna GW2388 4 Port not taking more than 3 cards

So this is strange.

We just received some Laguna GW2388 4 port boards with V4.1.12 running on them.

I have some CM9's and APG23's that are known good cards. When I load all 4 ports up, the board does not boot. If I load 2 or 3, the board works fine in any combination of cards. If I put all 4 cards in an older metro, it boots up fine. both are using the same 24V power supply on the bench plugged into the power plug.

The Metro is running V1.5.17agn.

I must be missing something. I've been away from this side of things for a while so I may be out of touch but I don't see what's going on. If these cards are not compatible or there are some other issues, can someone recommend a better card? I'm willing to pay a little more for a more robust card. The reason for the new boards is that we are experiencing some sites that reboot or that just lock up with no explanation. At first we thought it was heat, but they do it when it is cool out as well. I'm hoping these new boards fix that because nothing else has. Sysloging those boards has not revealed anything.

Arthur
    Here for a good time, not a long time

Do you have a bad slot? The Laguna should be fine with all 4 cards so I would be suspecting a dirty mini PCI slot. Give it the old rubbing alcohol fix.
    ..a computer is a stupid machine with the ability to do incredibly smart things, while computer programmers are smart people with the ability to do incredibly stupid things. They are,in short, a perfect match..

Try the latest 4.4.5.7-7842 release. It fixes the 11N card reset issue.
    http://www.star-os.com/ http://www.star-os.com/store

Were the old boards that were rebooting laguna boards as well?

I don't have any laguna boards with all 4 cards, but do have some with 3 cards in service.

Here is some more info. Based on Lonnie's comment we did further testing on 3 boards. All brand new, right out of the ziplock. I avoided cleaning anything since they are new and I wanted all the boards to be the same for testing.

All 3 boards WILL NOT boot with 4 cards. All 3 boards will boot with 1, 2 or 3 wireless cards in any slot with one strange exception listed below

On one board we did extensive tests here are the results:

- 4 slots full - no boot
    - 1, 2, 3 full - 4 empty - boots
    - 1, 2, 4 full - 3 empty - no boot
    - 2, 3, 4 full - 1 empty - boots
    - 1, 3, 4 full - 2 empty - boots
    - 1, 2, 4 full - 3 empty - moved miniPCI that was in slot 3 to 4 - boots
    4 full but slot 3 had CM9 - No boot

Other than the 1 CM9 all cards were AGP23. All four cards work on their own in the 4 port board or in a WAR1. All four cards will work together and boot in a metro 4. Everything tested with the same 24VDC power supply plugged into the power plug on the board. Have also tested with 4 CM9s and it does not boot.

To go.fast... The 2 sites we are having issues with rebooting and locking up are both Metro 4's on AC power. I've swapped the POE's in both sites and one we even swapped the entire board, but every day in the late morning and afternoon it reboots. On occasion it locks up and needs a power cycle. The 2nd box I've tried to manually reboot every night and it has not locked up.

I see you are testing with 24vdc. I just read the SBC will take from 9 to 48 vdc.
    I am wondering if this is where we need the 48 Vdc supply.

Also you state you are testing with 24v but at what current ?
    I am myself wondering what these boards need to satisfy the inrush requirements and drain during heavy traffic.
    Any comments? I just happened to think I have a regulated PS with amp meter sitting right here in arms reach.
    I'll make up a plug and report what I find. ;-)
    Dave
    <
    @)
    (Cooter>>
    ^^^^^^^^^^
    Vrablic

"I have no excuses, Just reasons"

According to Ohm's Law the higher the Voltage the lower the Current. When you consider that an RJ45 connector was designed for very low voltage and current signals you soon realize that it was not meant to carry a big load.

For anything over 2 cards I highly recommend 48V if the board supports it. The Laguna is quite happy with 48V.

All the new 6 port boards will ship with 48V supplies. Ken at Cue-Link has lots for anybody that wants them.

For remote Solar use you'll have to go with 24V but definitely do not use 12V.
    ..a computer is a stupid machine with the ability to do incredibly smart things, while computer programmers are smart people with the ability to do incredibly stupid things. They are,in short, a perfect match..

Try the latest 4.4.5.7-7842 release. It fixes the 11N card reset issue.
    http://www.star-os.com/ http://www.star-os.com/store

I was just getting ready to deploy a Luguna on a new site.
    While testing I found I could not get into the eth 0 port even tho it has a 192.168.1.1 address on it.
    I tried the eth 1 port and got in on 192.168.2.1.
    Yes there is some kind of problem with the number of radios used.
    I tried 4 WLM54AGP23 radios and the SBC did not respond.
    I even tried using a 48 VDC power supply from Cue Link.
    I used an external bench power supply and at 24VDC it doesn't even draw 300 MA.
    ------
    I dropped the 4th radio and it booted up with the 3 radios.
    Something isn't right here.

I just loaded my production configuration file and now I can't get into either port.
    Time to go on service calls. LOL
    Dave
    <
    @)
    (Cooter>>
    ^^^^^^^^^^
    Vrablic

"I have no excuses, Just reasons"

Does this happen with N cards or just abg cards.
    I have plenty of laguna boards, and haven't seen the ether issue you are describing.Nor the missing card. Most of my lagunas have 2 or 3 cards installed, but I do have a couple with all 4 cards.

I do see that it takes a minute for the ether to become an active connection when plugging into a live laguna board.
    Also, have you tried using a gateworks poe?

With the Laguna (and probably other gig Ethernet POE devices, if you use a passive POE and plug into a gig Ethernet switch you will most likely not get link. If you require POE you will have to use an appropriate gig Ethernet POE injector (such as the gateworks unit). Or run 2 Ethernet cables and only use the one for power (RJ45 into the eth0 port, or connected to a coax plug into the DC power port) and the second for Ethernet into the eth1 port. Or run a pair of wires for DC power separate from the Ethernet cables and have full use of both ports without worrying about any POE injectors.

Thanks for the idea David.

I've now tested with 3 power supplies.

The AC/DC adapter hooked to our test bench is 24V - 1amp. we use this for all board tests.
    The 2nd is one from cue-link (new out of the bag) - 24V - 3 amp
    3rd is our test supply. I had it set to 24V and it was drawing no more than 0.21amps at any time. The board did not boot with 4 cards.
    Another test with the test supply set to 48V and it was drawing only 0.12 amps. No boot after 3 minutes.

We have tried both POE and the DC plug on the board. Same results, so it has nothing to do with Gig POE ports or a bad injector.

All of these power supplies also used when testing the same cards in a metro4 board and all power up fine with the same 4 cards.