+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default GeckoV4 4.1.9.7 build 6556 has been released

GeckoV4 4.1.9.7 build 6556 has been released.

http://www.star-os.com/2013/08/gecko...been-released/

What's new:

*) UI Connection tracking list fixed for WAR, METRO, WP188, and Cambria
    *) Managed mode (SyncV4) now implemented (see notes below)

Managed Mode:

Managed Mode (SyncV4) has been a long time coming to the GeckoV4 series.

This new version (SyncV4) is highly secure and now requires a common sync pin number to be used on both the AP, and stations. If there are stations that are not supported or have a misconfigured pin, you will be notified when you press the Sync Settings button, and will be given a chance to cancel if needed. All supported peers will have a ‘*’ under the association list ‘M’ column.

The sync behaviour has also changed in that it will now perform a minimal ‘activate’ on the AP, and all peers in order to reliably process the new settings. The Sync pin can also be changed during a sync.

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    GeckoV4 4.1.9.7 build 6556 has been released.
    Hi. The good news is that I've applied this to an ALIX with two N cards, and to all of the 17 connected clients (all SIAM-WAR1a, all with N cards) and everything came back up correctly. No nasty surprises, no bricks. This AP/Clients had all been 4.1.9.4 before, and the upgrades all went fine. Signals look the same, performance is fine, so at least on ALIX and SIAM-WAR1a units, I see no 'show stoppers' in this release.

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    The sync behaviour has also changed in that it will now perform a minimal ‘activate’ on the AP, and all peers...
    Hmmmm... Well, this means that there is an 'activate' and that clients disconnect and then reconnect. So, unlike the old SYNC, this wouldn't ever be a seamless SYNC anymore. Where I can see this being a complication is particularly while trying different channels and settings while optimizing a backhaul, that's one place we really miss SYNC, and this would now have 20-30 second disconnects on every SYNC, which isn't 100% ideal when we're trying a dozen different channel permutations in order to optimize a link or work around some new interference. In this scenario, we are often just testing with channel changes, and with the old SYNC, we could usually SYNC and it'd usually be seamless and wouldn't even miss a ping. When SYNC went away, we'd basically had to change channels on the AP and activate, and have a dead network segment for 20-30 seconds, and unfortunately that's basically what this new V4 SYNC will still now do on a PTP backhaul.

On the other hand, this is good progress and it's really nice to see SYNC back in any form - certainly while trying different cloaking settings on a PTMP AP, this is WAY better than having to log into 20 clients to change each of them manually. Even in it's current form with the activations, this will be a SUBSTANTIAL time savings on the PTMP portion of our network. Thanks guys - we really appreciate getting the SYNC feature back.

ninedd, and that is the intention. This will SYNC the clients but the activate is not seamless. Tony will get the seamless part worked out. We felt it was important to have this so that you could at least make site wide changes and have all the units auto magically follow the AP settings.

I'm not sure if it was noted well enough, but this YNC will only work with "this" version of SYNC, so your clients will have to be at this release version or higher.
    ..a computer is a stupid machine with the ability to do incredibly smart things, while computer programmers are smart people with the ability to do incredibly stupid things. They are,in short, a perfect match..

Try the latest 4.8.x.x firmware. It is becoming very stable and complete.

http://www.star-os.com/ http://www.star-os.com/store

Currently, the focus is to get the Managed framework in place, as it will be used for more than just Sync in the future. Sync capabilities will also be expanded, as will the ability to do a smooth (seamless) transition depending on the settings that have changed.

This is a great step forward, and will be tons more to come in this area.

Yes, this is a great addition, even as is for now. I really appreciate getting SYNC back in, since doing PTMP management has been difficult. This is great and much appreciated, and it's great to know that the long(er) term plans are to have a seamless-sync again. Even as it is now, it'll be a bit help.

Default WEP 128-bit Key support in Gecko V4

I'm not 100% sure this is the best place for this post, as I think this is related to all Gecko V4 releases.

Anyway to the issue:

The WEP Security dialog does not have a selection for 128 bit keys, I assume Gecko V4 does not support 128 bit keys?

[ Before everyone jumps in and says WEP is next to useless, I have a couple of AP's that would not work well beyond v1.4.27.1 which does not have WPA support, so it's a case of something is better than nothing. ]

That is correct. GeckoV4 does not support the proprietary 128-bit (152-bit) keys, but does support 40-bit (64-bit), and 104-bit (128-bit) keys.

You might want to try V4 on those AP's and see how they work now. V4 has shown to be very compatible with pretty much any brand and type of gear.
    ..a computer is a stupid machine with the ability to do incredibly smart things, while computer programmers are smart people with the ability to do incredibly stupid things. They are,in short, a perfect match..

Try the latest 4.8.x.x firmware. It is becoming very stable and complete.

http://www.star-os.com/ http://www.star-os.com/store

Default GeckoV4 4.1.9.7 build 6556 has been released

That's the aim, I noticed the wep key missing when planning the upgrades. I'll just have to swap the clients and AP back to 104 bit wep or no encryption before upgrading. The plan is to upgrade the AP's first using an Alix with N card and N sector's, then upgrade the clients over a period of time.
    Last edited by ripv; 08-10-2013 at 08:48 PM.

With Sync coming back in place, will we also get DFS? Need it to be legal, and would like to use the newest software as I start to change my old 11g for new 11na clients.