+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I just now noticed this was in the rant area, again sorry not where i wanted it, that was the start of the confusion
    Kevin Gerrard

"Anyman who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him--- better take a closer look at the
    American Indian."

Concerning lingo, I do not see it as "wrong", but you should write short and concise. Short statements, one in it's own sentence can do wonders. Try sounding like the telegraph. And take notice of important info while(during) you are troubleshooting and give us as precise data as possible.

I have logs, sysinfo and SNMP data collected every hour, so I can pull needed data when necessary. If you do not have that, take notebook or sheat of paper and write short notes with valuable info when logging. I have about 300-400 sheats of paper so far, most of them 1/2 of A4 (1/2 of US Letter), and some of them tiny bits. I archive them, and I plan to get someone to scan them and archive them as pictures until I find time to use some database for pictures/comments. I also use "Tomboy Notes" (Like MS OneNote) to copy frequently used data to searcheble database.

P.S. I know that is the worst part of this business, keeping all of the data on-hand.

P.P.S. Lonnie was more worked up about you using old versions that all the rest combined ;-) Just upgrade to latest and you will be fine :-)
    Last edited by DrLove73; 06-09-2011 at 12:34 AM.
    Ljubomir Ljubojevic - Love is in the Air
    Google is the Mother, Google is the Father, and traceroute is your trusty Spiderman...
    StarOS and CentOS/RHEL/Linux consultant
    Powerful Starv3 manipulation tool - StarV3 Multipractik for Linux

The reason I considered it a roast was the offhand and incomplete information. You say it doesn't work and it is at "something" version. Not real helpful, except to you for blowing off steam.

DrLove is correct about the versions. We work REAL hard to deliver new firmware that fixes and improves things and it really means we are doing it all for nothing if you guys do not upgrade. I can understand some hesitation but a few days after a release is out and there are no show stopper reports it really should be put into use.

I am fairly sure you will see a better system and it sure makes it better for us to be tracking issues with the current release, rather than having old issues constantly being reported. I have said in the past --> do not fix if it isn't broken, meaning leave an older firmware in place if it is doing the job nicely and you do not need the new features, BUT, if you are having ANY issues then upgrade and see if the issues persist. There is a good chance the issue you were seeing has already been fixed, and if not then we can get it fixed.

As I've said, this new release has SYNC working between 11abg and 11n cards and allows you to play with your whole system connected to the AP. That alone is worth the time to upgrade.
    ..a computer is a stupid machine with the ability to do incredibly smart things, while computer programmers are smart people with the ability to do incredibly stupid things. They are,in short, a perfect match..

Try the latest 4.4.5.7-7842 release. It fixes the 11N card reset issue.
    http://www.star-os.com/ http://www.star-os.com/store

Kevin,
    If it's any help I had a laptop we used for programming on the bench do that to me the other day. I used one of my other laptops and I could log in without problems on a SIAM board. Hope it helps bud.
    Yea I know,..those things happen.

Quirky things like this do happen more often than not some times.
    I can't tell you how many times a simple DOS arp -d command fixed a bout of frustration accessing a unit under configuration.

Also I believe sometimes there are problems with the automatic NIC negotiation between the SIAM and my laptop's auto negotiation.
    Sometimes rebooting my laptop fixes it and sometimes it doesn't.
    I have always blamed myself or my LT and not the SIAM side of things.
    ------------
    Anyone else having access problems ?
    When configuring? or running under a heavy load?
    Dave
    <
    @)
    (Cooter>>
    ^^^^^^^^^^
    Vrablic

"I have no excuses, Just reasons"

I do not use SIAM. But I think that carying cheap switch with me is helpfull. I had situation in my house several days ago where I connected 30m of Cat5 cable to another room connected to a switch and I tried to access Ubnt AirGrid from my Linux. It acted wiered, could not open the web page and ping were about 20% lost. I pluged cheap switch next to the AirGrid and used short LAN cable between switch and AirGrid and everything worked from then on.

It might even be the that 30m of LAN cable, but I solved it short term with cheap switch.

P.S. I do not consider D-Link and Netgear as "cheap switch" but "crapware".
    Ljubomir Ljubojevic - Love is in the Air
    Google is the Mother, Google is the Father, and traceroute is your trusty Spiderman...
    StarOS and CentOS/RHEL/Linux consultant
    Powerful Starv3 manipulation tool - StarV3 Multipractik for Linux