+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hello out there

Default Hello out there

Is everyone ok?

It sure is kind a spooky and quiet.
    Like someone is going to jump out of the bushes and yell boo ! or N is ready or something like that ;-)

or Tony is rolling around on the floor playing with the baby?
    Dave
    <
    @)
    (Cooter>>
    ^^^^^^^^^^
    Vrablic

"I have no excuses, Just reasons"

Things are quite indeed. The new release was a success (for most anyhow), and am now taking some time to add in the 11n support.

As for rolling around on the floor playing with the baby. Yes, plenty of this as well.

I was thinking the same thing.... scouring CNN for news of an Asteroid impact or a Plague that's killed everyone except Canadians, or some other explanation for the eerie silence...

As far as 1.5.14.1 I can say it's nice to be able to move to a single firmware across the whole network. We are rolling it out slowly and haven't seen any major show stoppers anywhere. I can't say how thrilled I am to maybe, finally be able to have a single code on the whole network.

The 100% Quality thing (I know it's expected and it's only cosmetic) is a pain of course, since we can't quite as obviously see customer problems before they report them, but really that's the only major (minor really) issue we're seeing.

If anyone is sitting holding out with a 1.3 or 1.4 version on their network, I'd encourage trying 1.5.14.1 and posting your results. You'll probably like 1.5.14.1 very much, and if nothing else, I'll rest easier knowing that Zombies haven't taken over the rest of the world...

Happy for your success Ninedd,
    I too am rolling out this newest version.
    I had stopped with 1.3.23b and several PTP, PTMP and back haul systems that were on this version exclusively.
    I am like you, slowly converting, the ends first and working my way back.
    -----------
    The only problem so far was a rouge early version of 1.4 something on a client that was running a public service 4.9 freq that would not associate (It didn't even show up in the survey) until I upgraded it to 1.5.14.1 but all is well now.
    ----------
    I am dragging my feet tho as I will want to reload everything again after the quality function gets fixed.
    --------
    In this case I guess no news is good news?
    Dave
    <
    @)
    (Cooter>>
    ^^^^^^^^^^
    Vrablic

"I have no excuses, Just reasons"

I converted mine and associates network to 1.5.14.1s about a week ago. They were part of my network few years ago with their own hardware and StarOS, got better offer more bandwidth per customer for lesser money (I was actually happy since their customers a pain in a .... and not worth the hassle), they got burned and returned after 6-7 months to use/rent part of my network to connect to Cable company and asked that I return StarOS back on their X86-PC's.

When I told them that 1.5.14.1s looks very good, but haven't rolled it yet, they actually drove 20km just to make sure I do it that day (while they are there), since there where some throughput issues on the link that connects us. They were on 1.3.23b thus far.

So I rolled 1.5.14.1s on both their and my network and they haven called even once to have me fiddle with the link. So I guess they are happy too with latest version.

Last two weeks are hectic for me, I started mayor overhaul of my network with X4517's to replace PC's with 4-5m cables and 2 pigtails (N-Type to RP-SMA and RP-SMA to U.fl), and to raise autonomy with lower power requirements. So far So good. I am also adding 2 new mayor POP's and possibly later some mini-mini POP's (I am going to test Non-StarOS Universal repeaters with only an omny) if it deems necessary to cover as much of the town as possible.
    I also might be entrusted with town owned free wireless network that was pain in my .... for last few years since they have no-one to maintain it (last kid turned out to be mayor liar and trickster). And I am currently all alone, so basically I just browse this forums and not even open 2 Linux forums I was very active on.
    Ljubomir Ljubojevic - Love is in the Air
    Google is the Mother, Google is the Father, and traceroute is your trusty Spiderman...
    StarOS and CentOS/RHEL/Linux consultant
    Powerful Starv3 manipulation tool - StarV3 Multipractik for Linux

We're removing the bridges on the client radios. PITA and tedious work focusing on not making any mistakes. We've converted 25% so far and upgrading to 1.5.14.1. Took me most of Sunday to do 60 clients on a tower. They're all moved and no complaints. I've only fat fingered one router setting. The majority of our system is now on this ver and we're moving record amounts of data since the change per the MRTG graphs. The main FD link to our upstream is still on 1.3.23 and it works very well. So well in fact that I've never even tried 1.4.22 on it.
    If you don't get caught, did you really do it?