+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1.5.9 rant

Default 1.5.9 rant

hey, can we get the rants etc, down into here, & keep the topic of 1.5.9 back onto the topic... i am as frustrated as everyone... am about to take down several PTP links,, ......... just unstable, & i just have to giv up,, hell, i have tried. ant

I know how everyone LOATHES to give out ETAs, which I can understand. And I know that 1.5.10 has been stated as ''soon'' and as ''days, not weeks''. As I've stated in the other thread, I'm seeing pretty encouraging results and am looking forward to this new version.

However, it would be great to know if it is guessed to be released in 2 days or 20 days though, if we can know that? We have a couple hundred 1.5.9b boards out there, so when a new version comes out, it's a couple all-nighters to update all this firmware, which means I may need to schedule differently in the store for the following couple days. It would be great to get a heads up if there will be a new version posted in the next 2-3 days, vs sometime in the next 5-7 days, or an unknown number of days or whatever.... just so I can schedule.

Also, in a case like ant's, if he's about ready to take down a couple links, it would be unfortunate for him to do that and then have 1.5.10 posted a couple hours later. If its still going to be a week or whatever, then maybe he has no choice, but I'm just saying it would be great to know Tony's best guess if we are getting down to 48 hours or whatever that is.

They stated that 2.4 GHz channel 0 is not going to make it soon so they will release it without it. That means they were working on it at the moment.

Since they have everything else, they may have done (or doing) little maintenance to make sure everything is in order, they will compile everything for each and every hardware platform, test each version for booting and running, and then upload it via ADSL link with takes forever (1-2 days). I would say 3 days tops.
    Ljubomir Ljubojevic - Love is in the Air
    Google is the Mother, Google is the Father, and traceroute is your trusty Spiderman...
    StarOS and CentOS/RHEL/Linux consultant
    Powerful Starv3 manipulation tool - StarV3 Multipractik for Linux

I am testing the "second" 1.5.10, so it is really near. Measured in hours if no problems are found.
    ..a computer is a stupid machine with the ability to do incredibly smart things, while computer programmers are smart people with the ability to do incredibly stupid things. They are,in short, a perfect match..

Try the latest 4.4.5.7-7842 release. It fixes the 11N card reset issue.
    http://www.star-os.com/ http://www.star-os.com/store

I am waiting for a "third" 1.5.10 for testing. It won't be long as just a couple of small snags were encountered.

Managed mode works great and makes this sort of testing so much easier.
    ..a computer is a stupid machine with the ability to do incredibly smart things, while computer programmers are smart people with the ability to do incredibly stupid things. They are,in short, a perfect match..

Try the latest 4.4.5.7-7842 release. It fixes the 11N card reset issue.
    http://www.star-os.com/ http://www.star-os.com/store

Perfect, thank you. I await it eagerly.

Well, in my saga, moving both ends to 1.5.10b made the bad client move data mostly reliably, and upped throughput from 35KB to 100 KB. But, still worthless.

so, I'm pulling the WAR1a and putting in an old WAR1 and 1.3.23b as I know it actually WORKS.

As I thought, my backhaul went to crap, not even making 200KB across it, all the customers that were less than -75 fell off and would not come back on when the AP was switched over. I didn't do the customer's firmware, so... don't mean much. I justed wanted to know if matching worked on both sides. It helps, but still isn't worth anything. I don't know what the problem is, but I'm making sure it gets a known working XR9 (instead of new) and a known working board, older one.

As for my adventures with this, they're through. When MIMO comes out, I'll try MIMO. Until then, I have no use for this version. It pains me to sit on WAR1a's that long, but if that's not workable, I guess I'll have a few for sale.
    ====================================
    mark at neofast dot net
    An all-star-os-all-the-time WISP
    5 out of 4 people have trouble with math.
    ====================================