+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Hi David... still ticking I see ;-)

We've been pretty lucky thus far as we haven't needed to carry mpg or the like across our network. We've also been very lucky to see that there has been almost nil torrent or other p2p travel across our network until a few months ago, now it's almost rampant and is really causing some grief for some of our higher paying customers (bigger companies, government, etc), thus the need to enforce usage to some heavier users but really it will only buy some time before people get mad and jump ship.

To stay competitive and keep existing clients and get more we need to increase the capacity of our BH and we're not really crazy about the idea of adding additional links to compensate.. we'd rather hang new boards that are up to the task so that we can meet the added demand and stay somewhere near current power demand for solar sites. In preparation of the crumby winter charging we've prepared by modifying a Honda generator to start and stop remotely or automatically (as in if the solar charge is not sufficient it will fire up and charge as needed then shut down without any intervention.. choke et all automatic).

All in all, it's pretty cool to see things change and have the challenge to not only recognize new demands but to also to meet them so it should be very interesting to see what comes out of Siam Software throughout the next while.
    Why don't we just take the safety labels off everything and see what happens?

We use this

http://ipacco.sourceforge.net/

To collect IP accounting statistics from our Cisco border router and put it into a MySQL database.

The problem I had is it makes a HUGE mySQL database which is really slow to query. So I had someone write me a PHP script to grab the data from the one database and summarize it to another every 5 mins.

It only summarizes for the IPs I want to track, and deletes the rest of the data. It also doesn't track each flow, as in every IP it is coming in from or going out to. Just how much is to or from the IP of interest on your network.

Also it doesn't track the IPs unless I tell it to. So you can enter all your customer's IPs on the network, or just the people you know who use a lot. And it will track those people and allow you to view a report.

Result is I can enter any customer's IP into the database and then the scripts track it, inbound traffic, outbound traffic, and total so far in the month. I can then see their throughput so far in the month or for any month previously for the last 12 months.

I can also set a page up in PHP to allow the customer to see how much bandwidth they have transferred so far in the current month. This is based on the IP requesting the page, so the customer doesn't even have to log in. They can click on the link on my website which says "click here to see your usage".

Thanks,
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by mickeym View Post
    Would you mind sharing what tool(s) you're using for the bw tracking?

Thanks.

We've started bandwidth accounting and enforcing (to some extent) usage to hopefully force some users up in bandwidth plans for additional capital to expand and increase but it is still written plainly on the wall..
    We're using radius-acl built in to StarOS with freeradius/mysql at the backend to make for easy reporting and integration into our current billing scheme.

As a note... accounting is kind of hit-and-miss so you may not want to deploy it site wide but rather keep it internal and use as you see fit. Between 1.3.23 and up to and including 1.4.24, accounting has been random for SR9's (sometimes an interim update will report 20GB and sometimes it will be accurate.. from our observation, the more hops that accounting data has to traverse the more chance it is skewed).. XR9's and any 2.4GHz seem to do well and appear to be accurate. To be safe, we allow 1.1GB in the clients favor to allow for things out of thier control (dhcp between ap and cpe, routing traffic and a bit extra to be safe).

Resetting monthly counters was a bit of a bear but we finally came to the conclusion that doing a starutil apply on each ap was the safest way to go and since everything was in a mysql database it was pretty simple to gather a list of ips and passwords via a cron php script at midnight on the last day of the month that simply ran 'starutil ip pass -a' to each ap.. eventhough there was no change to apply it reset the interfaces and forced an accounting-stop record to radius.

For our use this has been ok to deal with as we only ever have less than a dozen clients who are an issue for bandwidth abuse so rather than automate overuse billing it is simply a report that is viewed and applied as necessary, we wish to fully automate this in the future but can't at this point.

If you have any specific question(s) I'd be happy to answer if I am able.

Quote Originally Posted by c.davis View Post
    Nah, 300MHz MIPS seems kind of slow and unlikely given the odds and niche.
    Don't discount the performance of the Atheros SOCs compared to the other standalone MIPS we've seen and used. I've used older Atheros 2313 series SOCs at 180MHz that pumped 50mbit fine.
    StarOS Community Wiki: http://staros.tog.net/

Quote Originally Posted by tog View Post
    Don't discount the performance of the Atheros SOCs compared to the other standalone MIPS we've seen and used. I've used older Atheros 2313 series SOCs at 180MHz that pumped 50mbit fine.
    Point taken, I've got a 680MHz Atheros SOC unit at home that has no trouble with ~900mbit while barely yawning (GigE ethers). I was, falsely, comparing the ADM 5120 175MHz (original WAR-1).

Bandwidth accounting has to use Radius since you could not centralize IP accounting when you use dynamic routing over multiple Internet feeds.

We have 3 Internet feeds located 70km aparts and olsr manage the default route of our customers. IP accounting was a mess. Radius Accounting is the way to go but it has bugs like C Davis said.

Quote Originally Posted by c.davis View Post
    We're using radius-acl built in to StarOS with freeradius/mysql at the backend to make for easy reporting and integration into our current billing scheme.

As a note... accounting is kind of hit-and-miss so you may not want to deploy it site wide but rather keep it internal and use as you see fit. Between 1.3.23 and up to and including 1.4.24, accounting has been random for SR9's (sometimes an interim update will report 20GB and sometimes it will be accurate.. from our observation, the more hops that accounting data has to traverse the more chance it is skewed).. XR9's and any 2.4GHz seem to do well and appear to be accurate. To be safe, we allow 1.1GB in the clients favor to allow for things out of thier control (dhcp between ap and cpe, routing traffic and a bit extra to be safe).

Resetting monthly counters was a bit of a bear but we finally came to the conclusion that doing a starutil apply on each ap was the safest way to go and since everything was in a mysql database it was pretty simple to gather a list of ips and passwords via a cron php script at midnight on the last day of the month that simply ran 'starutil ip pass -a' to each ap.. eventhough there was no change to apply it reset the interfaces and forced an accounting-stop record to radius.

For our use this has been ok to deal with as we only ever have less than a dozen clients who are an issue for bandwidth abuse so rather than automate overuse billing it is simply a report that is viewed and applied as necessary, we wish to fully automate this in the future but can't at this point.

If you have any specific question(s) I'd be happy to answer if I am able.

Quote Originally Posted by skyclimber View Post
    Bandwidth accounting has to use Radius since you could not centralize IP accounting when you use dynamic routing over multiple Internet feeds.
    This is one of the very reasons why we chose to do accounting at our cisco border routers. I can simply pull the statistics from all border routers no matter where they are located and it will all go into the MySQL database and be summarized. When we're multihomed it won't matter which upstream link traffic goes into or comes out from, it will all be counted.

Another benefit is it doesn't matter which CPE you use on the network or whether StarOS v4 supports IP accounting from the start or not.

Thanks,
    Roger

What model is your Cisco router ? I'm not sure if all model will handle 2000 users.

It's a really old Cisco 7206 (not the new VXR, the older one) with a 15Mbit fractional T3 with about 300 - 350 users on it. I think it has an NPE-200.

The CPU peaks around 8-10% currently. I graph it with cacti and when I started the IP accounting it added maybe 2-3% to the load. Somewhere in that neck of the woods.

If I had 2000 users I should think I'd probably like to have several geographically diverse upstream links with a newer 7206 vxr with NPE-400 or so on each one, running BGP of course

Thanks,
    Roger

Edit: I got the cisco details wrong..

cisco 7204 (NPE200) processor (revision B) with 114688K/16384K bytes of memory.
    Processor board ID 8083982
    R5000 CPU at 200Mhz, Implementation 35, Rev 2.1, 512KB L2 Cache
    4 slot midplane, Version 1.0
    Last edited by Beebe; 04-06-2010 at 10:34 AM.