+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy V3 and performance!

Dears is a time that left the V3 system, because the not possible to use the wonderful in the RouterBoard MT RB600, the MT is good system but the performance of V3 is better, very much. Well my qustion: Is there any possibility to launch a version of the V3 for the PowerPC platform?

Quote Originally Posted by gladstonreis View Post
    Dears is a time that left the V3 system, because the not possible to use the wonderful in the RouterBoard MT RB600, the MT is good system but the performance of V3 is better, very much. Well my qustion: Is there any possibility to launch a version of the V3 for the PowerPC platform?

I don't see the point in doing any work to support that board. The ADI Pronhorn Metro (WAR4-Metro) already has a 533 MHz CPU, 4 mini PCI slots, 2 Ethernet, and a proven track record and IS supported by Star V3 now.

Talking Question

gladstonreis I'm curious to understand what you get so "much more" from powerPC or RB? As StarOs goes, next step is more software power, then more hardware power. It is still enough room to squeeze the actual Star platforms, on other words
    Last edited by Tamiris; 11-14-2008 at 02:56 AM.

MT is good system but the performance of V3 is better, very much
    I think he was saying that V3 is much better than MT, not that the RB is much better. I think he would just like to be able to use it on his existing hardware and do a firmware upgrade to Star.

I don't see the point in doing any work to support that board
    Just playing the devil's advocate (I know it would obviously be a lot of work, and would take away from other projects in the process) but also potentially could have 1000's of new V3 licenses if people could upgrade their existing RB hardware in place to V3 licenses.

If VNC would agree to that, license would most likely be much higher, or with limited upgrade span without possibility of further upgrades after 1-2 years mark (so those boards would payoff in that time).
    Ljubomir Ljubojevic - Love is in the Air
    Google is the Mother, Google is the Father, and traceroute is your trusty Spiderman...
    StarOS and CentOS/RHEL/Linux consultant
    Powerful Starv3 manipulation tool - StarV3 Multipractik for Linux

Quote Originally Posted by ninedd View Post
    I think he was saying that V3 is much better than MT, not that the RB is much better. I think he would just like to be able to use it on his existing hardware and do a firmware upgrade to Star.
    Yes, I mean this! But I have many routerboard rb600 here and in the Brazil the War Board they are very difficult to find here. I think that ould be just another option to use the V3. I know many peoples here that using MT that change to V3 if possible the possible to have a version for powerpc. I then my suggestion to all.

Gladston

Quote Originally Posted by Tamiris View Post
    gladstonreis I'm curious to understand what you get so "much more" from powerPC or RB? As StarOs goes, next step is more software power, then more hardware power. It is still enough room to squeeze the actual Star platforms, on other words
    Dear I´m reffer to the boards not the system. In my experience (16 years) the v3 is much better than the mikrotik.

Quote Originally Posted by gladstonreis View Post
    Yes, I mean this! But I have many routerboard rb600 here and in the Brazil the War Board they are very difficult to find here. I think that ould be just another option to use the V3. I know many peoples here that using MT that change to V3 if possible the possible to have a version for powerpc. I then my suggestion to all.

Gladston
    I agree on this. It is hard to advocate V3 when we have to import WAR's ourselves. People are not willing to trash their systems boards in favor of what they see as potentially (from their point of view) better software when their systems are working fine for their need. Gladston's willingness to pay for practically 2 software licenses, one to the Mikrotik (with the board) and one extra to the VNC says A LOT.

On the other hand, Lonnies point of view also makes VERY good sense. He does not want to be the one to blame if problems with competitors hardware arise, and he wants to promote his superior (and what is most important highly controlled in terms of quality) hardware platform, making sure quantities goes up for the price to go down. Problem in this approach is VNC has limited consumer base, it's consumers can not just sell all of the competitors hardware and replace it like you would with one or several mobile (cell) phones, and you can not purchase VNC's hardware in local networking distributor outside North America. So it's consumer base (at least outside US/CAN) is limited to wireless entusiasts who already heard for StarV3. All others, when they hear that you have to order WAR's and import them your self and that Mikrotik is always available, just say f**k the StarOS, I will work with MT.

If they get version for MT's hardware they will try and many of them will most likely cross to StarV3. If VNC limit them in some way, like upgrade, both sides would be satisfied.
    Last edited by DrLove73; 11-15-2008 at 03:01 PM.
    Ljubomir Ljubojevic - Love is in the Air
    Google is the Mother, Google is the Father, and traceroute is your trusty Spiderman...
    StarOS and CentOS/RHEL/Linux consultant
    Powerful Starv3 manipulation tool - StarV3 Multipractik for Linux

Quote Originally Posted by DrLove73 View Post
    I agree on this. It is hard to advocate V3 when we have to import WAR's ourselves. People are not willing to trash their systems boards in favor of what they see as potentially (from their point of view) better software when their systems are working fine for their need. Gladston's willingness to pay for practically 2 software licenses, one to the Mikrotik (with the board) and one extra to the VNC says A LOT.

On the other hand, Lonnies point of view also makes VERY good sense. He does not want to be the one to blame if problems with competitors hardware arise, and he wants to promote his superior (and what is most important highly controlled in terms of quality) hardware platform, making sure quantities goes up for the price to go down. Problem in this approach is VNC has limited consumer base, it's consumers can not just sell all of the competitors hardware and replace it like you would with one or several mobile (cell) phones, and you can not purchase VNC's hardware in local networking distributor outside North America. So it's consumer base (at least outside US/CAN) is limited to wireless entusiasts who already heard for StarV3. All others, when they hear that you have to order WAR's and import them your self and that Mikrotik is always available, just say f**k the StarOS, I will work with MT.

If they get version for MT's hardware they will try an many of them will most likely cross to StarV3. If VNC limit them in some way, like upgrade, both sides would be satisfied.
    You're right! I hope that one day (soon) the Lonnie make that change for us who do not live in Canada and USA.