+ Reply to Thread

Default RIP and basic home network routers

First, a brief summary of why I'm even mucking around in this:

As we've begun using WAR-1 clients, we've run into an issue where it seems we have to choose between using low-cost internal wireless equipment (such as a Linksys WRT54G router) or using a higher cost solution such as a network switch plus an access point, which is about 50% more expensive.

If we use the Linksys router then (which is our current implementation), we have to choose among dual-NAT, bridging the WAR-1 client, or configuring the Linksys to act as a switch by disabling the DHCP server and plugging the WAR-1 into one of the switched (local) ports on the Linksys.

The hazard of configuring the Linksys as a switch (which is what we've chosen to do thus far) is that if the Linksys is reset, either by power fluctuations or by someone hitting the button, the customer's connection will stop working completely. Thus, I've been trying to find some sort of "best of all worlds" solution where we can connect the Linksys in such a way that if it happens to be reset, the customer's connection will continue to work (albeit with dual-NAT) until such a time as we can talk them through the two steps necessary to give us remote access to the unit (which will then let us do the more involved process of reconfiguring the Linksys to avoid the dual-NAT).

As I was poking around in the configuration pages of my own Linksys to try to see if I could get the device to switch the WAN port to the LAN ports, I noticed that the Linksys at least nominally supports RIP. I thought I'd try to see if I could get a WAR board working as a router at my home, to see if the RIP settings on the Linksys might prove useful, but I'm not having any luck. Here's my setup:

Cable modem <--eth cable--> ether2 on WAR-2 (DHCP)

Ether1 on WAR-2 (192.168.2.1) <--eth cable--> PoE <--eth cable--> Linksys WAN (DHCP)

Linksys LAN (192.168.0.1) <--eth cable--> computer (DHCP)

Ether1 is configured with dhcp-autoauth to hand out:
    IP 192.168.2.100-200
    SM 255.255.255.0
    GW 192.168.2.1
    Along with two valid DNS server IP addresses.

If I have the Linksys configured in gateway mode (the default settings) and have a masq rule setup to masq 192.168.2.0/24 to ether2 in the WAR-2, my connection browses, life is happy, etc.

If I try to turn on RIP on in the WAR board and enable RIP mode on the Linksys, I can communicate with the WAR board so long as RIP is bound to both LAN and WAN interfaces on the Linksys, but I cannot get a connection to the Internet. I've tried with the masq rule enabled & disabled, I've tried adding a masq rule for 192.168.0.0/24 to ether2 in the WAR board, and I've experimented with such RIP settings as default-information, passive-interface (to set ether2 to passive), and specifying as a neighbor the default gateway I'm getting from my ISP.

Is it even possible to use RIP on this "internal network", between the access unit (the WAR board) and the internal wireless AP (the Linksys), if the "external network" isn't announcing RIP routes in? If so, what configuration setting(s) do I have bollixed up (and/or what configuration changes do I need to make starting from factory defaults)?

Edited to add: Hrm, it looks like after a little more investigation that just the default settings of RIP on the WAR board and putting the router in RIP mode produces a routing table in the router of:

0.0.0.0/0 GW: 192.168.2.1 Interface: WAN
    192.168.0.0/24 GW: 192.168.0.1 Interface: LAN & Wireless
    192.168.2.0/24 GW: 192.168.2.100 Interface: WAN

And the Linksys can ping to the Internet (and traceroutes show 192.168.2.1 as the first hop), but the computer (running Windows XP) cannot. I did try disabling/re-enabling my NIC on my computer after changing the Linksys into router mode. So it seems that the issue is with the Linksys, perhaps?

Edited to add:
    Well, it looks like I must have had a typo in my masq rules; as long as I'm masqing from my 192.168.0.0/24 subnet (or the whole 192.168.0.0/16) in the WAR board, everything's hunky-dory on the default RIP with the Linksys having RIP enabled and bound to the WAN interface.

So, then, the question becomes... is there a tangible benefit, from performance or whatever, to setup the internal routers running RIP versus simply dual-NAT?
    Last edited by DLNoah; 01-09-2008 at 08:07 AM.
    Wiki: http://staros.tog.net/wiki/Main_Page

Why not share some of your knowledge with the community?