+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default One Sector just died

- Software Version 1.1.13 was on Metro, now on WAR2.
    - Cards are WLM54G's @ 22dB

This box had 2 of 3 sectors with customers on it. The bulk (31) were on a "south" sector and the other 17 are on a "NE" sector.

Just last night, most of the customers on the "South" sector went from "C" on the association list to "N". I've moved around channels and even drove the countryside with a Spectrum analyzer with no noise found. I stopped by our competitions tower... nothing.

I climbed in the snow and wind to 150' tonight and swapped the Metro thinking our 48VDC power supply was not doing the trick. I put in a WAR 2 and the symptoms continue.

The 3 or 4 customers that do connect, get ping times upwards of 17000ms. All signals are good, but the even customers in the low 60's aren't connecting and if they do it's the high ping times.

the only thing in the logs is lots of associations and dis-associations

Any thoughts other than the sector antenna going bad over night and doing strange things?
    Here for a good time, not a long time

Sounds like an antenna/cable problem to me.

I actually just had to replace an antenna that went bad myself. All clients would suddenly drop 15dB of signal, sometimes they'd come back ok (gain 10-15dB of signal back) if I changed channels and messed around, but only for a little bit. As odd as that behavior was, it was really just the antenna.
    StarOS Community Wiki: http://staros.tog.net/

The thing that's throwing me is that the signals are all good on the association list but they are mostly "N"ot connected.

Any chance the board is not getting enough voltage on the 140' ethernet run up the tower?

If you're working with higher voltages like 48v, it hardly matters that it's near 150'.

You're only losing a few volts at most and the 48v devices wont care if they get 45v

The WRAP at sub-24v was a lot more sensitive, you fed it 15v in at the bottom and it was 12v by the time it got up there and it would be very unhappy with that.

If the other two radios are working perfectly fine it's somewhat less likely to be a problem with the overall system board.

It's more likely to be a problem with the specific radio card, pigtail, coaxial cable or antenna.
    StarOS Community Wiki: http://staros.tog.net/

OK.. thanks for the feedback.

It's getting 24V at the bottom and now only has to power the 2 cards in a WAR2. I think it should be getting 22.5 at the top if I remember correctly. Before that it was getting 49V at the bottom to feed a 48V metro with only 3 of the 4 cards active.

Here's another thought... even though I could not find any interference, is it possible that the system would act like this (high signal strengths with no connectivity) if there was interference?

Just looking at this thread
    http://forums.star-os.com/showthread.php?t=7314

If you are using some of the early, poorly designed, cheap, client bridges with 1.1.13 then you will see this if one of them has trouble connecting because they just pound the AP when they get disconnected, which of course starts an avalanche of other units that cannot connect, and they pound the AP, which eventually makes ALL units disconnect.

Solution:
    1. switch to latest 1.3.10 for the new driver
    2. switch the clients to our units

I recommend #1 since it is also the version that gets updated. The 1.1.xx series is done and is now replaced.
    ..a computer is a stupid machine with the ability to do incredibly smart things, while computer programmers are smart people with the ability to do incredibly stupid things. They are,in short, a perfect match..

Try the latest 4.4.5.7-7842 release. It fixes the 11N card reset issue.
    http://www.star-os.com/ http://www.star-os.com/store

Quote Originally Posted by lonnie View Post
    If you are using some of the early, poorly designed, cheap, client bridges with 1.1.13 then you will see this if one of them has trouble connecting because they just pound the AP when they get disconnected, which of course starts an avalanche of other units that cannot connect, and they pound the AP, which eventually makes ALL units disconnect.

Solution:
    1. switch to latest 1.3.10 for the new driver
    2. switch the clients to our units

I recommend #1 since it is also the version that gets updated. The 1.1.xx series is done and is now replaced.
    I was seeing this problem on a couple of our sites that have a couple weaker clients on old crap (realtek based) bridges. We have not had that problem since moving to 1.3.5. I will be upgrading to the lasest release oven the next month, but not just yet, too many other things on the go right now. I can also assure you that replacing these old client bridges with a WAR1 based client solves the problem even better.

Thanks guys.

All of the clients are Star-OS in 4x mode. Either WAR2's or WAR1's.

We're waiting for more hardware before any more upgrades as the upgrade process has proven to be a real challenge and we've lost numerous boards during the flashing process.

Lost boards during flashing? How?

Don't you just upload new version over wireless and just run flash process? I never had problem with flashing, 29 units x 6 versions minimum, WAR METRO, WRAP, PC, ...
    Ljubomir Ljubojevic - Love is in the Air
    Google is the Mother, Google is the Father, and traceroute is your trusty Spiderman...
    StarOS and CentOS/RHEL/Linux consultant
    Powerful Starv3 manipulation tool - StarV3 Multipractik for Linux