+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Number of CPE x sector

This is a question that can be answered in several ways, but I tought I'd ask.

How many customers I can expect to serve on each sector? I mean how many CPE could connect to a single sector (driven by atheros 2.4G) without them disconnecting or having issues. I don't take bandwidth into account (suppose there's plenty to share).

Is 50-100 on each sector a reasonable number?

Thank you.

There are so many factors which may have great influence on No. of CPE's per sector (interferences, bandwidth ,polarization,platform -WRAP,WAR or PC,cloaking). My experience is up to 55-60.
    Better to ask and be stupid then to be stupid and asked

I'm used to work with wrap boards (for firewalling purposes).

Do you think I should use WAR instead for an AP? How is stability and CPU power?

Start Reading the forum.

WRAPS are End of Life around here for new installs Go with WAR and don't look back
    Yea I know,..those things happen.

I only do 30-60 clients per sector when selling bandwidth levels of around 1.5mbit - 3mbit

Matt Larsen should chime in here, he has over 100 subs on a single ap.

He can give you the specifics of what he is doing.

Default 100+ Subs

I have 100+ subs on a 5ghz atheros based AP.

However, it is a Tranzeo AP that has 100+ customers on it, not StarOS. The most 5ghz customers that I have put on a StarOS AP is about 25. I'm using WRAP boards, and I'm guessing that the CPU will start having issues over 50 or so customers.

Matt Larsen
    vistabeam.com

I have 32 customers on a staros v3 WRAP board. It's running well. I think it's the AP on my network with the most subscribers, and it runs better than most other APs on the network since it's all StarOS clients on it.

I often see posts comparing number of subscribers to amount of CPU Horsepower. In other words if you need to add more customers, simply use a faster AP. However, I don't think it takes much CPU power to be able to max out 802.11a/b/g as far as number of clients go. I figure if you've got enough CPU to max out the throughput on a point to point link, then you've pretty much got enough to max out the number of clients that's possible. Of course if you add bandwidth shaping, layer7, firewalling, DHCP, routing protocols etc then that adds to the requirements.

I would think a WAR2 board would be able to fit as many clients as any other 802.11a/b/g solution.

Quote Originally Posted by gunther_01 View Post
    WRAPS are End of Life around here for new installs Go with WAR and don't look back
    Yes I know they're EOL and I already have access to the new design of the Wrap2. It's a good design and I know the designer personally. There will be 2 new wrap boards and one will be X86 compatible hence very easy to port Star-Os to. That's why I can't decide.

What would the CPU have to do with the number of associations? The radio pushes the same peak data whether you have 1 user or 250 (which is our limit).

Quote Originally Posted by mlarsen View Post
    I have 100+ subs on a 5ghz atheros based AP.

However, it is a Tranzeo AP that has 100+ customers on it, not StarOS. The most 5ghz customers that I have put on a StarOS AP is about 25. I'm using WRAP boards, and I'm guessing that the CPU will start having issues over 50 or so customers.

Matt Larsen
    vistabeam.com
    ..a computer is a stupid machine with the ability to do incredibly smart things, while computer programmers are smart people with the ability to do incredibly stupid things. They are,in short, a perfect match..

Try the latest 4.4.5.7-7842 release. It fixes the 11N card reset issue.
    http://www.star-os.com/ http://www.star-os.com/store