+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default AP Replacement - suggestions?

Hi guys. I just set up a new WAR4 today in place of an old Tranzeo AP that was in bridging mode. It's now routing, running NAT on it's wireless interfaces. WAN is Ether1, 2.4GHz 802.11B clients are on 1st wireless (SR2 card), and 5.8GHz 11A clients are on 2nd wireless (CM9). All clients are statically assigned IPs in the 192.168.7.0/24 range. The AP is also running OSPF and is receiving routes no problem. Can ping out from the AP - google.com, yahoo.com, other APs/servers, etc. Can't ping any clients.

I am having trouble passing data on the wireless interfaces. Clients associate fine - about 55 CPEs. I have switched the SR2 off and turned on the CM9 in 2.4 11B mode, and had the same results (swapping the LMR cable of course). Distance is 14 miles, 11B mode, Antenna A, power set at 18, various channel settings (cloaking 1x), InterBSS traffic disabled. I just upgraded it to the current StarV3 release - 1.1.4 1509. It was at 1.0.1 when we first put it up this morning, but had same results. I've also had troubles with it rebooting per the hardware watchdog twice.

Here's what I've done:
    - Swapped LMR
    - Swapped pigtails
    - Swapped POE and Power
    - Swapped the WAR4 for another one and reconfigured
    - Adjusted the Antenna
    - Upgraded the firmware
    - Changed Channels
    - Changed power settings
    - Changed radios (SR for CM9)
    - Changed preamble settings.

No dice for anything. I've also played with the ACL and only allowed a few CPEs to associate - same results. Associates fine- MOST with a status of 'N' - some 'C'. Mostly no IPs in Association list, and unable to ping any of them. Every once in a while I'll get a few pings through, but the time is a few seconds - 2000ms to 6000ms.

The clients are about half Tranzeo, half Demarctech. We have another AP running 2 SR2s with 50 clients(Tranzeo and Demarctech mixed also), no problems ever. In fact a HUGE improvement over the WRAP that was previously in it's place. I replaced another AP on this same tower prior to this one - replaced a WRAP with a WAR. Running about 20 clients. Almost identical configuration. 1CM9, 1SR2. WAN on Ether1. Private/NAT on Wireless. No problems with the first one.

Anyone have any other ideas or suggestions?

-Nick
    Last edited by nickwhite; 08-31-2006 at 06:51 AM.

The thing you are missing is to set preamble to LONG and turn off AP Power saving.

One or all, I am not sure, implement power saving improperly or not at all, but they tell the AP they are going into power saving and never tell it they come out, so the AP will buffer until it exhausts resources and then it reboots.

I'd be happy to login to the AP and check it out if you can get me a public IP and password.
    ..a computer is a stupid machine with the ability to do incredibly smart things, while computer programmers are smart people with the ability to do incredibly stupid things. They are,in short, a perfect match..

Try the latest 4.4.5.7-7842 release. It fixes the 11N card reset issue.
    http://www.star-os.com/ http://www.star-os.com/store

I had adjusted both of those settings. On, off, and mixture of the two to no avail. The weird thing is our other 2 WAR4 APs are running a mixture of the same CPEs with these settings turned on. Hmm.

Let me see about getting you access.
    Last edited by nickwhite; 08-31-2006 at 07:07 AM.

PM'd you some information. Thanks for your help.

Nick

Whenever a WAR4 reboots on its own you'll find that you might have an improper power supply or bad cabling. The power supply should be a regulated 24V and you cannot crimp RJ45 plugs onto solid wire cat5. Another possible source is the setting of AP Power saving. I suspect these units do not properly implement power saving and that can crash the system. Only use that feature when you have all StarOS units connecting.

I can ping the connected units and your masq statement is proper. Your unit is accessing the Internet as evidenced by the DNS use and NTP adjustment.

The connected units all have a problem with reassociating. You will find that our latest v2 and all V3 systems do not exhibit the problems you are seeing with the other units. This means there is a fix and that we have fixed our driver.

As such the appropriate manufacturers will have to fix their own firmware. We do not have the resources to help them troubleshoot these units, so they are on their own and you are in their hands.
    ..a computer is a stupid machine with the ability to do incredibly smart things, while computer programmers are smart people with the ability to do incredibly stupid things. They are,in short, a perfect match..

Quote Originally Posted by lonnie
    Whenever a WAR4 reboots on its own you'll find that you might have an improper power supply or bad cabling. The power supply should be a regulated 24V and you cannot crimp RJ45 plugs onto solid wire cat5.
    The only radio I have ever had problems with RJ45 crimped to cat5 are WRAP's and Star. I purchase RJ45's for solid wire, am careful about my crimps. The WRAPs that are POE'ed are the only ones that reboot. I have two that are plugged in directly and will go for months at a time with out rebooting.

I just wonder about every other kind of CPE and anyone else that crimps RJ45's. How in the world do you install a CPE then. It doesn't seem to make any sense why you can't crimp them with the proper wire, tool, RJ45, and PS.

I am starting to believe you on this though, Lonnie. I just wonder why in the world it works that way, when it shouldn't.
    Yea I know,..those things happen.

I use solid CAT5e also, I use RJ45's for solid wire and crimp them all the time. I do this on my CPE's and AP's. I've only had one CPE fail due to a bad crimp. If you know what you are doing and use a good crimp tool this will work. You must secure the CAT5 to the antenna or mast so that you get no movement with wind. If you look at a punch down or an RJ45 the method of connection is the same, you are forcing the sleeved wire between 2 sharp pins to penetrate the coating and make contact with the copper.

Stranded CAT5 I have had problems with, and should be used indoor only. The crimping seems to damage the fine copper and will fail over time due to movement from wind or heat/cold.

Quote Originally Posted by lonnie
    Whenever a WAR4 reboots on its own you'll find that you might have an improper power supply or bad cabling. The power supply should be a regulated 24V and you cannot crimp RJ45 plugs onto solid wire cat5. Another possible source is the setting of AP Power saving. I suspect these units do not properly implement power saving and that can crash the system. Only use that feature when you have all StarOS units connecting.

I can ping the connected units and your masq statement is proper. Your unit is accessing the Internet as evidenced by the DNS use and NTP adjustment.

The connected units all have a problem with reassociating. You will find that our latest v2 and all V3 systems do not exhibit the problems you are seeing with the other units. This means there is a fix and that we have fixed our driver.

As such the appropriate manufacturers will have to fix their own firmware. We do not have the resources to help them troubleshoot these units, so they are on their own and you are in their hands.
    Thanks for looking at it. I know we replaced the POE and Power, but I'll make sure he puts a brand new one in place when he takes it back up. Oddly enough, it seems to work fine with the 3 clients in the shop (TRCPE, CPE200, DemarcTech), so I'm wondering if we have a troublesome client in the field. Thanks for all your help and the info.

Nick

The units you mention are very low performance units and as such their power requirements are simple. The WAR units require just a bit more care and attention. Do it right and you'll not be sorry.

So we tried replacing our old Tranzeo AP again today and essentially got the same results. 53 clients - mixture of demarc and Tranzeo CPEs. I made sure to have InterBSS, AP Power Saving, and Short Preamble off. I even tried ACL'ing everyone accept 1 or 2 CPEs, but they still associated with 'N', and no IP(running latest stable - 1.1.4). When I had ACL disabled, a few clients would show IPs and 'C' (about 6 out of 53 CPEs). I could ping some of those with IPs showing, but pings were in the 8000 to 17000ms range (8 to 17 seconds) as per the response. Like I stated, I have 2 WAR4's running in a similar configuration, with 50 and 20+ mixed CPEs, and they're rock solid. I really want to get rid of this old Tranzeo AP. Anyone have any ideas or recommendations?