+ Reply to Thread

Thread: sector panels

Default sector panels

This may sound like a stupid question but can you name all three CM-9's the same SSID through 3 sector panels using same channel on each or would this cause interference. Or can you set each CM-9 to different channel would it work? If not I am going to have to change 40+ customers radios to make the transisition work on the new sectors? Thanks for the Help.

You could do either. The first option (all three on the same SSID and channel) would more then likely cause interference, especially if there's any overlap in where they are pointing. It would also cause your clients's CPEs to switch AP's (CM9 cards). If you set them all to different channels, but same SSID, then they would also AP-hop, especially for any customers in overlap areas, but you wouldn't have the interference issues. We had problems like this a long time ago when we first started (and knew almost nothing about wireless or routing). We had all AP's (3 Tranzeo's) bridged and covering 3 areas of our valley, all with the same SSID. We had several clients with problems because of interference and AP-hopping. We've found, and I think most people would agree, it's best to use different SSID's and deffinitely different channels.

When we do a switchover to new gear we always leave the original AP in place. Then we put up a new AP in X4 cloaked mode using 3 or 4 radios and new sectors and one by one we move customers to the appropriate AP with its own ESSID. When we get the last customer moved we remove the old AP and move to the next tower to repeat.

By using X4 cloaking we no longer have interference issues and the system is rock solid again, even though I now have 3 AP units where previously we had one.
    Last edited by tony; 05-21-2006 at 01:24 PM.
    ..a computer is a stupid machine with the ability to do incredibly smart things, while computer programmers are smart people with the ability to do incredibly stupid things. They are,in short, a perfect match..

Try the latest 4.4.5.7-7842 release. It fixes the 11N card reset issue.
    http://www.star-os.com/ http://www.star-os.com/store

Thanks guys that has been EXTREMELY Helpful. I just orderd two war boards and cm-9 last week and cant wait to get them and start converting. We have been thinking along the same lines but we wanted verification before we did the change. Thanks for all your help and I am sure this wont be the last time I ask.