+ Reply to Thread

Default V3 Performance Issues

We have a WAR4 beta 18 at a remote site that has extreme fluctuations in performance. The link is short (just over 10 miles) and has -78 SS. Noise is -95 dBm. It will lock in at 12 Mbps but I have turned it down to 6 Mbps to try and fix the problem with no luck. There are 3 active wireless links out of this box and one ethernet link to an old V2 box. All other links perform normally but the link with trouble carries the most traffic as it is the main backhaul running in the 5GHz band.

Usually the system pings over the link at avg. 2 - 4 ms. On occasion it will jump to 600+ms then to 10000ms then 16000 ms.

I'm hoping this is a power related issue because we haven't been able to switch the site over from 12VDC to 24VDC but we don't see it only at night... it's off and on all the time.

Any feedback?
    Here for a good time, not a long time

I would advise to use a bigger antenna. Your signal is usable but I would not go with it for a backhaul. The system does background scanning and that could be the explanation for the periodic slowdown.
    ..a computer is a stupid machine with the ability to do incredibly smart things, while computer programmers are smart people with the ability to do incredibly stupid things. They are,in short, a perfect match..

Try the latest 4.4.5.7-7842 release. It fixes the 11N card reset issue.
    http://www.star-os.com/ http://www.star-os.com/store

What signal strength would you suggest I shoot for? We have a 20 mile link at -83 that I haven't seen this on. Under full load (12 - 13 Mbps) it pings at an average of 27ms.

Interference can cause this type of issue and is most apparent when signals are low. For a 10 mile shot I would use a 2 foot dish and get about -65 dB at 10 miles. This will ensure you can get high link rates and if you face interference you can move to cloaking and still get 10 to 15 mbps. The thing with the higher gain antenna is that you have more signal but more importantly less noise. That is the best of everything. You are not using high power cards are you?
    ..a computer is a stupid machine with the ability to do incredibly smart things, while computer programmers are smart people with the ability to do incredibly stupid things. They are,in short, a perfect match..

Try the latest 4.4.5.7-7842 release. It fixes the 11N card reset issue.
    http://www.star-os.com/ http://www.star-os.com/store

No high power cards... only what shipped with the boards. I'll check the alignment and possibly upgrade the antennas when we can and post the results.