+ Reply to Thread

Default wrap running staros "forgetting" IP address

Hi,

We've had problems with a few WRAP 1C's running StarOS v2.01.0 where they seem to forget their addresses. The basic scenario is as follows,

1. flash a new board with staros.
    2. start up staros and register the key.
    3. reboot and modify some settings.
    4. verify that everything works and that the system pings ok.
    5. power down and install board in some remote location.
    6. power up WRAP and no longer have access to the system (does not respond to ping).
    7. remove card and reflash with staros and system works as normal.

I took a system we encountered with this problem last night and plugged a null modem cable into it. It seems to boot up fine but still didn't respond to pings. If I do a reset of IP address and admin password from the serial interface, I could then ping the system and login successfully. Furthermore, any original configuration changes we made were still retained.

Is there any known problems with staros "forgetting" its ethernet IP address?

To make matters even stranger, I went and did a remote upgrade of the firmware on the system that experienced this failure to staros v2.10.0. Everything worked ok and I opted to preserve settings.

Immediately after rebooting to the new firmware again, it seemed to forget it's IP address again! After another reset of IP and admin password from the serial interface, I could connect in the upgraded system and the other settings had been preserved.

Has anyone seen anything like this? Does it sound like a staros problem or some obscure WRAP-related problem? Obviously I'd like to get to the bottom of this ASAP as it makes deploying client kits extremely time-consuming.

I have the support file from the system in question if that is of use.

-stephen

Thank you for your report. There are no known problems with the WRAP boards loosing their IP addresses in any of the current, or past releases however I do have a few questions / pointers.

1.) Is your WRAP board bridged? If it is, then your client system (PC laptop for instance) may need it's arp cache flushed before accessing the system is possible.
    2.) When you reset the password back to 192.168.1.1 and log in, what does the IP address show under the interfaces menu? This should reflect what the system sees, and will tell you if the system is losing it's configuration for some reason.

Thanks!
    Last edited by lonnie; 11-01-2005 at 09:59 PM.

What type and size of flash are you using? I would try something in the 16 to 32 MB range and a good brand like Kodak that you can get from a camera store (seems to be lots of camera stores around).
    ..a computer is a stupid machine with the ability to do incredibly smart things, while computer programmers are smart people with the ability to do incredibly stupid things. They are,in short, a perfect match..

Try the latest 4.4.5.7-7842 release. It fixes the 11N card reset issue.
    http://www.star-os.com/ http://www.star-os.com/store

Quote Originally Posted by tony
    1.) Is your WRAP board bridged? If it is, then your client system (PC laptop for instance) may need it's arp cache flushed before accessing the system is possible.
    No, we don't use any bridging. Just to clarify the scenario. Box is assembled at customer site and tested on the ground. Box is working. Same box is taken onto customer's roof and no longer works. Taking the box back off of the roof and resetting IP+password via null modem cable immediately provides us with access again.

Quote Originally Posted by tony
    2.) When you reset the password back to 192.168.1.1 and log in, what does the IP address show under the interfaces menu? This should reflect what the system sees, and will tell you if the system is losing it's configuration for some reason.
    I will need to check this the next time it happens. As I said though, other configuration details (including the system name and so on) are definitely retained so if it is losing data - it seems to only lose the IP address which seems very selective. And rebooting the system after it has "lost" it's address doesn't reveal any unusual messages in the boot sequence monitored via the serial port.

Quote Originally Posted by lonnie
    What type and size of flash are you using? I would try something in the 16 to 32 MB range and a good brand like Kodak that you can get from a camera store (seems to be lots of camera stores around).
    We're using the standard compact flash cards supplied by http://www.pcengines.ch/ - various brands, normally 64MB I think. Besides, there is no sign of corruption on the flash - am I right in thinking that if the flash was failing in any way that we would notice something more than just the IP address getting lost? Similarly there was nothing in the system log suggesting that the ethernet device was temporarily missing or unloaded or anything like that.

Any other ideas welcome or any diagnostics that we could perform?

Thanks,

-stephen

Default Dissapearing IP's

I can't tell you how many times I have forgotten to save the changes before powering a unit down after setup :smile:

Another thing I havn't seen mentioned is :
    I can put an IP on the Eth port and just to back it up I add a maint. address of 192.168.1.1.

If I don't reorder the addresses and place the maint address as the second entry I can not get access to the unit without a factory reset procedure.

Maybe you are having the same type of problem?

I have never read this anywhere else, so if it has been discussed forgive me.
    Dave
    <
    @)
    (Cooter>>
    ^^^^^^^^^^
    Vrablic

"I have no excuses, Just reasons"