+ Reply to Thread

Default Theory: Signal reading not accurate for AtherOS "A"

Just wanted to share some information on my testing of the Senao minipci a/b/g card.

13 mile link using PacWireless 29db antennas. Signal level -89 with a link quality of 9. For a while this baffled me on why I could not get a better signal level. After some research it was also a miracle that I could connect given that in A mode the receive sensitivity is -85 at 6mbits.

Other interesting aspects was that when I set the rate to 6mbits on both sides the throughput was closer to 10mbits actual throughput. I set the throughput to auto and rate sits at about 18mbits even with a -89 signal.

Basically I'm convinced that the signal is reported incorrectly or the senao card has a very good receive sensitivity. So I just use the signal as a guide for alignment rather than anything else. I'm assuming its a DSSS versus OFDM that the manufacturer hasn't tested very well.

Have you had isues where the links just stopped working?
    how about dropped packets and such?
    George

I do lose association every so often due to noise/signal drop and a "apply settings" is required to get the connection to re-associate. I hear the next release is supposed to help with this problem.

In regards to dropped packets I haven't had any problems and the bandwidth is better than expected.

-James