+ Reply to Thread

Default Does starOS diagnose radio to radio problems?

Hi, unfortunately we need a little hand holding;
    I have some clients on one AP (hermes with 25 associations) who have called this week saying that their orinoco client manager has been reporting lost packets the past couple weeks. Noise floor on this amped AP is great at -90. All clients on this AP have signal between -65 to -71. I have two clients with a signal of -78 that I have to go check out why.
    Lastly, I am feeding another tower thru this AP that has 20 associations on it.
    I feel this other tower is the culprit; this association is too busy for the AP and the AP is taking too much time listening to this association.
    But before I give this tower a dedicated backhaul, are there any tools in starOS to see the radio traffic between AP and client in order to see if these clients with the low signals are causing the AP to rebroadcast too much?
    It is definetely one of these problems; the processor in this AP is a 1000mhz celeron with another AP and backhaul in the unit, spaced channels 1,6,11. 128mb ram, and the system load is always 0.00 or real close to that.
    Thanks,
    Bob C

Are you bandwidth controlling the users? If they are all wide open and your system is max'ed out it is a natural and normal situation to have packet loss.
    ..a computer is a stupid machine with the ability to do incredibly smart things, while computer programmers are smart people with the ability to do incredibly stupid things. They are,in short, a perfect match..

Try the latest 4.4.5.7-7842 release. It fixes the 11N card reset issue.
    http://www.star-os.com/ http://www.star-os.com/store

We throttle on the wired side of the network at 1megabit up/down with fallback rates.
    The packet loss is from client to AP and not at some other point in the wireless network.
    This week we have planned to give the tower backhaul fed off this AP it's own PTP. I am also going to roll out to these customers with low signals to see if they haven't been doing their tree trimming or something
    Bob C

Hi,
    is there a way to tell if a client off a AP is causing rebroadcasts from the AP end?

You can look at the AP's communication tallies (FCS errors, rebroadcasts, etc.).

Thanks!

Cool, I need to hit up google to make sense of all those parameters.
    Hey I notice that on an AP we have with no associations it has FCS errors... how is that?
    Bob C

The AP hears all near-by traffic on this channel. If it hears something with a CRC (FCS) error, it will be recorded.

Thanks!